ELK - Arm Area 2

RichardU

Simple question. I see that each keypad is assigned to an Area. But I would like to be able to use every keypad to arm both Area 1 and Area 2. I tried setting up a separate User code that was assigned to only Zone 2, but it didn't work.

Anyone know how to do this?

For that matter, what I'm really trying to do is be able to set a "flag", from any keypad. In other words, enter in a 4 digit code, and you have just set the flag. Enter it in again and the flag is unset. I thought to use the armed state of a separate Area as my flag, but would be happy to use anything else. I have no zones in Area 2.

Simple question. I see that each keypad is assigned to an Area. But I would like to be able to use every keypad to arm both Area 1 and Area 2. I tried setting up a separate User code that was assigned to only Zone 2, but it didn't work.

Anyone know how to do this?

For that matter, what I'm really trying to do is be able to set a "flag", from any keypad. In other words, enter in a 4 digit code, and you have just set the flag. Enter it in again and the flag is unset. I thought to use the armed state of a separate Area as my flag, but would be happy to use anything else. I have no zones in Area 2.

Why do you want to arm area 2 if there are no zones in it?

I use a rule to arm area 2. When area 1 arms, it arms area 2 in 1 minute. When area 1 is disarmed, it disarms area 2 immediately. If you have a full keypad, you can switch the area of the keypad through the menu, but it's cumbersome. I only do this when I need to change the chime settings on an area.

For that matter, what I'm really trying to do is be able to set a "flag", from any keypad. In other words, enter in a 4 digit code, and you have just set the flag. Enter it in again and the flag is unset.
If you have an attached automation controller, you can use the M1 ASCII Protocol function "IC" to signal a code entry, and then signal back to the M1 to perform the function that you want. It's a bit of an odd use of the function but I can explain if you are interested.

I'm not following the use of a second area with no zones assigned, but a simple rule to arm area 2 based on area 1's arm status or arming level would be the easiest way to do this.

I do this with my own house with 2 areas, when area 1 arms, arm area 2. Each disarms independently.

If you have an attached automation controller, you can use the M1 ASCII Protocol function "IC" to signal a code entry, and then signal back to the M1 to perform the function that you want. It's a bit of an odd use of the function but I can explain if you are interested.
That sounds great. I'm using CQC, through the ethernet interface. The documentation I saw on ASCII Protocol was all about serial. Do you know if it would work through the ethernet interface?

For those wondering about the empty Zone 2, the best way to describe what I am doing would be a different arming "mode" which would be accomplished through CQC involving certain zones in Area 1, and a lot of logic. So the user could punch in xxxx to arm normally, or yyyy to arm in this altered mode. I don't really need a Zone 2, I just need a way for the user to punch in a code and have CQC pick up that as a flag to operate in the altered mode. Seemed like creating a faux Zone 2 might be something CQC could test for, but if I can have a code do something else that would work.

Thanks for all your responses.

Do you need the security of a code? Any reason you couldn't just use a function button to set the flag, then always arm like normal? If you arm and F4 is on (and the light is on with it), then it bypasses whatever or does whatever special arming you're after.

Back