ELK arming station

tuantu

I just noticed the elk website shows arming station. Does anyone have any ideas when this product is actually is going to be available?

Also, is cat5 cable required for this install?

M1 KPAS Arming Station is in Beta Testing. Not available to the market yet. Very nice, lower cost keypad that fits through a decora plate in the wall.

Final release date will not be available until after beta testing is complete.

Yes, this is a really cool looking product. To make it even cooler though would be to install a proximity station for remote fobs right next to it!

Take a look at some of the pics at Elk's booth during the ISC West 2006 show HERE.

Good looking stuff! :)

Guy Lavoie said:
Looks good doesn't it? I'd like one...
Yes I agree. It looked even cooler live (pics don't show it that well).

BTW: Slightly off topic, but my new keypad arrived yesterday (for my friend's install).

How do you like the new keypad? Does it have all the functions of the KP-1, besides the temp sensor?

I like the look of the kp-2 much better that the kp-1, and have been wanting to get one.

3DogKnight said:
How do you like the new keypad? Does it have all the functions of the KP-1, besides the temp sensor?

I like the look of the kp-2 much better that the kp-1, and have been wanting to get one.
I just took it out of the box and haven't had a chance to install it yet (it's not for my home).

I don't think it has a temp sensor and I believe not as many function keys; but, it looks great and I haven't even powered it up yet! :)

BraveSirRobbin said:
3DogKnight said:
How do you like the new keypad?  Does it have all the functions of the KP-1, besides the temp sensor?

I just took it out of the box and haven't had a chance to install it yet (it's not for my home).

I don't think it has a temp sensor and I believe not as many function keys; but, it looks great and I haven't even powered it up yet! B)
Don't want to stray OT, but the KP2 is nice. The LCD may be tricky to get just the right levels, but overall very nice. You can see my install pics here. I actually got it for my sister but had to put it in my place. Time to go order another... Oh, Yes - no temp and 4 function keys.

Don't want to stray OT, but the KP2 is nice. The LCD may be tricky to get just the right levels, but overall very nice. You can see my install pics here.

Thanks for the pictures Steve....but I have a question for you....how deep is the flush mount box? I got my KP2 early last week and installed it right away. Unfortunately, when I ordered it, I didn't realize the flush mount box was not included.

So, now I'm waiting on the flush mount (along with another KP2) that are on backorder. However, after seeing your pictures, I'm a little concerned that the flush mount kit is going to by a pain to install for me. Basically, I have blocking behind my panels with the wire running through it (see pictures below), so if the flush mount kit is deeper than 1/2", I'm going to have a lot of work ahead of me.

Thanks,
Scott

IMG_6369.sized.jpg

Scott,
Start cutting!!! B)

The flush mount backbox is around 1 1/2 inches deep. Can't remember the exact dimensions. It also has sheetrock mounting ears that swing out to capture sheet rock. It you are mounting in through a wooden panel like shown in the picture, you will have to drill some holes on the sides of the back box and screw the back box into the wooden panel after you have cut a big hole in the panel.

It is not clear from the picture, but are you mounting the M1 Control Box there? If so, you will not have room for a keypad on the same wooden panel. If the keypad only goes there, just knock out the wooden panel and save yourself a lot of work.

This is a good point to remember: The KP2 flush backbox is designed to mount into a clear hole in sheetrock.

Steve,
Looks like you almost had an OOPS on the right side of your hole you cut. Did the dress up ring cover it? It looks like a stud on the right side of the hole. That would keep one of the four sheetrock swing arms from grabbing the sheetrock.

Spanky said:
Looks like you almost had an OOPS on the right side of your hole you cut. Did the dress up ring cover it? It looks like a stud on the right side of the hole. That would keep one of the four sheetrock swing arms from grabbing the sheetrock.
Yes, there is a stud on the right. If you look at one of the first pictures which is what it looked like from the original keypad they put in, you will see the ooops in the original pic. If I cut the hole right by the oooops then there would not have been room for the ear, so I had to shift the hole over a bit. You can just barely see it when looking from the side after the trim ring is in place but I am actually planning on taking it back out and replacing the 22/4 with a Cat5 but was too anxious to mount it. I'll patch that part when I do the reinstall anyway.

One thing about the arming station: the picture on the Elk site shows it mounted in a multigang box along with light switches. Normally you cannot mix low and high voltage cabling in the same box. Will Elk be offering a solution to this or will we simply need to get special partitioned boxes?

Btw, I like the fact that the keypad will be backlighted with blue LEDs. That alone will look cool. The only thing missing is the price... B)

Back