Elk branded wireless sensors

trmitche

Now that Elk has a branded wireless receiver, is it a possibility that Elk will ever make compatible sensors themselves? The biggest complaint about my M1XRF is the limited selection of (GE) sensors. Any plans to consider this as an avenue for Elk? Imagine the package deals you could put together, not to mention that this would eventually lead to a much wider selction of device types.

I love seeming naive in a forum as much as the next guy, but I do understand that it's not quite as simple as I make it sound - it's just a passing question/suggestion and I thought I would keep it short.

Now that Elk has a branded wireless receiver, is it a possibility that Elk will ever make compatible sensors themselves? The biggest complaint about my M1XRF is the limited selection of (GE) sensors. Any plans to consider this as an avenue for Elk? Imagine the package deals you could put together, not to mention that this would eventually lead to a much wider selction of device types.

I love seeming naive in a forum as much as the next guy, but I do understand that it's not quite as simple as I make it sound - it's just a passing question/suggestion and I thought I would keep it short.

What are you looking for that GE does not have?

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is an actual wireless temperature sensor (not a freeze sensor or rate-of-rise sensor), but I would also like to see some type of internally-powered outdoor siren that could be activated via the Crystal frequency. In addition, I would like to see better keyfobs, or rather keyfobs designed more specifically for the Elk, that would have the ability to cycle through arm states with multiple button presses, etc. Lastly, I know there is already a GE crystal touchpad remote, but again I would like to see a version more specifcally designed for the Elk.
Don't get me wrong, GE has a decent selection, but I assumed that Elk only partnered with GE on compatibility with the Caddx receivers/Crystal sensors because they did not have their own alternative.....now they do, so I figured it was a legit question to ask if the transimitter side would follow the trend.

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is an actual wireless temperature sensor (not a freeze sensor or rate-of-rise sensor), but I would also like to see some type of internally-powered outdoor siren that could be activated via the Crystal frequency. In addition, I would like to see better keyfobs, or rather keyfobs designed more specifically for the Elk, that would have the ability to cycle through arm states with multiple button presses, etc. Lastly, I know there is already a GE crystal touchpad remote, but again I would like to see a version more specifcally designed for the Elk.
Don't get me wrong, GE has a decent selection, but I assumed that Elk only partnered with GE on compatibility with the Caddx receivers/Crystal sensors because they did not have their own alternative.....now they do, so I figured it was a legit question to ask if the transimitter side would follow the trend.

No problem, just wondering what types of devices you were looking for.

Ness Security in Australia, one of ELK's manufacturing partners, makes a full line of security transmitters which are now compatible with a Ness version receiver for the M1. Ness has recently received FCC approvals for their transmitters.

www.ness.com.au

Spanky - that's cool. A couple of things to ask/point out after reviewing your link:

1. Assuming that the sensors you're referring to are only the ones found HERE , then this development doesn't provide anything that's not already available through GE (although it does give Ness the opportunity to sell some nice Elk combo packages that would include wireless sensors, so it answers part 1 of my question, Thanks.)

2. You state below that those sensors are compatibile with a Ness version of the receiver - so I assume that means I can't use them with my Elk-branded receiver - is that right? If so, could there eventually be a firmware update that would allow Elk receivers to use Ness transmitters?

3. I'd still like to get your take on whether Elk will ever do this themselves , because I suspect that there will be a lot more innovation involved when you do it. For instance, the one thing that I left off my wishlist of new sensor types above is something that I could see Elk producing - a CARFOB. Something about the size of a garage door opener with a visor clip, that has 8 buttons on it. I cannot tell you how useful this would be for me compared to a keyfob on my keychain with four buttons. That's just an example though.

P.S - I'm thinking of using the GE Crystal "touchpad" remote (the first product in THIS LIST ) until something like a carfob is available. I asked Martin at AO to order one for me and call me when it comes in. Then I'll drive over there and we'll see if it has the 8 button limitation that Martin suspects it does. Do you know anything about that topic Spanky? (Elk having an 8 button limit for fobs).

...Ness has recently received FCC approvals for their transmitters.

www.ness.com.au

Reading between the lines....they only need FCC approvals for use in the US, right? So they must be getting ready to market here? And that implies they will be compatible with the elk receiver?

Is there any news on this? I am getting ready to start a whole new system for a friend and I am trying to convince her to go with the ELK over other brands. Might be nice to have EVERYTHING Elk rather than use the GE transmitters. It would be to much work to pull wire at this point in some areas of her house.

Is there any news on this? I am getting ready to start a whole new system for a friend and I am trying to convince her to go with the ELK over other brands. Might be nice to have EVERYTHING Elk rather than use the GE transmitters. It would be to much work to pull wire at this point in some areas of her house.

Is the GE brand on the surface of all their wireless products? Or is it on the label that will be attached to the surface of the wall, window, door or other surface that you may want to install one on. I'm not saying that you should pass them off as Elk sensors but that the prominent "advertisment" of the system will be the keypads and possibly the ElkRM that you'll setup for her as well :lol:

Personally, I think that being able to use competing sensors, as well as Elk's when shipping for US use, would be a great selling feature. She has that much more choice.

Now keychain remotes that are Elk branded could be a real cool addition, especially if a rolling code technology could be implemented (ala Code Encryptor II).

Is the GE brand on the surface of all their wireless products? Or is it on the label that will be attached to the surface of the wall, window, door or other surface that you may want to install one on. I'm not saying that you should pass them off as Elk sensors but that the prominent "advertisment" of the system will be the keypads and possibly the ElkRM that you'll setup for her as well :)

Personally, I think that being able to use competing sensors, as well as Elk's when shipping for US use, would be a great selling feature. She has that much more choice.

Now keychain remotes that are Elk branded could be a real cool addition, especially if a rolling code technology could be implemented (ala Code Encryptor II).

The reason for my post was that I thought it would be "fun" to be able to do a totally ELK install (with someone else's money :lol: ). I already have about two dozen GE Wireless devices (2 more on the way and only need one more wireless smoke for a storage closet) in my house. I am not going to rip out what devices I have and put in ELK's devices when they roll out unless a GE one fails (unlikely for a while). Luckily all of mine are crystal and I can convert over to the ELK receiver when money permits if I want to.

Being in the business I have to say that the quality of the ELK products and the support is fantastic. Its also fun to play with and even more fun when someone else is paying :p . This will be the fifth ELK system I have put in if I convince her to go with ELK.

Back