Elk Camera Security System Recommendations

Hi There,
I've bought an ELK M1 security/automation system, but havn't installed it yet. I plan to have window break sensors, window/door open sensors, motion, smoke, co, lel, and cameras. Maybe couple others.
I don't know anything at all about the camera/dvr/security system tie in side of things. I think I would like to put about 4 cameras outside of my house, watching my property, as I've had vehicles broken into and some tools stolen from my garage. I don't think I really want to have any cameras inside the house or garage, that just seems kinda creepy.
So I understand that for security cameras some things I do know:
1. I can get them for exterior. Nothing fancy, no pan/zoom/tilt.
2. They can come with some motion detection capability to record when they sense motion.
Thaaat's about it.
The one thing I'm curious on, is how/if they can integrate with the ELK system?? I guess I don't really have any specific function I'm looking for. (On a side note, I usally go about things somewhat backwards, by seeing what capabilities a device has then choosing from those capabilities on what I want, rather than figuring out what I want and finding the right device, although i guess i alsor regularly employ this tactic too). Are there common methods used to tie the systems together? is there a need to? Could the ELK system and Camera/DVR adequately function independant of each other and provide the same level of security?
Also, I'm looking for particular brands to consider. I definitely don't want the high end stuff. Somewhere on the low end to middle would be best. I'm thinking $100ish or less per camara plus another $1-200 for the DVR part. Any suggestions on brands? Any features I should be looking for?
Thanks a bunch.

These cameras fit your description well and you can even get a pan and tilt for your budget. http://store.homeseer.com/store/Netcams-C194.aspx

Many HomeSeer users intergrate these cameras and their Elk systems and other hardware and pull it all together with HSTouch on their touch screens.

Depends on what you really want to be able to do with the cameras/DVR, but the honest fact of the matter is that $ amount is the extreme low end of the spectrum for capabilities on both cameras and DVR.

Do you have an Elk touchscreen that you want to integrate with?

Are you looking for remote view/control of the DVR?

Integrating the DVR to change IPS and quality depends on the DVR itself, but any dry contact output from the Elk would be able to do such.

Elk has a list of cameras and DVR's that are supported on their RMS page

Depends on what you really want to be able to do with the cameras/DVR, but the honest fact of the matter is that $ amount is the extreme low end of the spectrum for capabilities on both cameras and DVR.

Do you have an Elk touchscreen that you want to integrate with?

Are you looking for remote view/control of the DVR?

Integrating the DVR to change IPS and quality depends on the DVR itself, but any dry contact output from the Elk would be able to do such.

Elk has a list of cameras and DVR's that are supported on their RMS page
No elk touchscreen to integrate with (they seem waaaaay too spendy at $700) but I mighty buy an Ipad or Itouch to put in the wall. Not really looking for remote view/control of DVR.
Why would a person want to "Integrate the DVR to change IPS and quality depends on the DVR itself, but any dry contact output from the Elk would be able to do such." What would be gained by changing IPs? (assuming you mean IP as in internet protocol xx.xxx.xxx.xxx)

Images Per Second. Not anything to remotely do with TCP/IP.

In your situation, given what you said, honestly, there's no benefit to installing a compatible system to the Elk, because you aren't going to be using any features of the hardware that is compatible, so a standalone system is the most appropriate with a DVR. Whatever functionality you get out of an Ipad or Ipod would have no bearing on the alarm, just the DVR, however the DVR would need to have the ability to be networked.

a DVR with an "alarm input" is only used to change the IPS and quality of the images taken upon being triggered. Some refer to it as panic recording.

I'm not trying to be a Nancy Negative or Debbie Downer on your plans, but you're going to be limited in quality for the cameras as well as DVR abilities out of the gate based on the budget cited, so don't really expect hi-res image resolution from the cameras or a lot of memory for the DVR itself, which is going to limit either the length of time able to be recorded, the resolution of the recordings, or the IPS that the DVR can record, with all 3 variables affecting each other. Most basic quality cameras, with the exception of the Chinese stuff, would eat your entire budget for cameras for one, and at best, two. The budget for a DVR would be eaten up by the entire budget in it's entirety, let alone a separate power supply, unless it'll all be wall warts.

No elk touchscreen to integrate with (they seem waaaaay too spendy at $700) but I mighty buy an Ipad or Itouch to put in the wall. Not really looking for remote view/control of DVR.
Why would a person want to "Integrate the DVR to change IPS and quality depends on the DVR itself, but any dry contact output from the Elk would be able to do such." What would be gained by changing IPs? (assuming you mean IP as in internet protocol xx.xxx.xxx.xxx)

If you use Ipad or Itouch check out eKeypad which has a lot more compatible camera's and DVR's then the ELK does. In fact more are added all of the time. From the same App to control the ELK you could view your camera's and control them

I have a bunch of Elk touchscreens I got slightly used when I removed someones ELK system and replaced it with a low end panel when the homeowner moved and the new owner did not want any automation. Took the touchscreens in trade. I am disappointed in the limited camera selection available and hope Elk adds some but I think its been years since any were added.

I could convert the touchscreens to HSTOUCH with Homeseer since I own HSPRO and a Hometroller but never have the time.

Back