Elk configuration in new install

RobWalker

I am planning the set up for a new home we are building this spring. So far this site has been a great wealth of information ... and ways to spend money!

My current thinking is to go with an Elk M1 as the hub, with EDT iLine lighting for most loads, and Insteon for appliance control and maybe a few out of the way lights. A separate PC would be available to run HA software 24x7 as well.

What I don't fully understand is how I should configure the M1. Do I have to buy 2 serial port expanders and connect the PC to the main serial port, or if I buy an ethernet module can I connect either the Insteon PLC or the EDT controller to the main port and use just one serial port expander?

Any opinions on the best way to go?

Rob

The Elk ethernet module demands the main serial port, so your computer will have to use ethernet access if simultaneous use is desired.

The 2414S Insteon interface demands and XSP add-on, it won't work with the main serial port due to customer firmware for Insteon.

I think the EDT unit also requires an XSP module, but I didn't verify that.

The different lighting drivers are located in the M1XSP serial port module. If you are using Insteon, then you need a M1XSP's jumpers set for Insteon. In reality the Insteon drivers are a separate software upgrade for the M1XSP. EDT lighting is a jumper setting on the M1XSP. You can go to the ELK website and download the installation manual for the M1XSP. It explains what is need very well.

Plan on the biggest cans you can afford and fit. You will probably find you still wont have enough room. Also pull all the wire you can. You will use it eventually.

I dont think you will find anyone who is not VERY satisfied with their ELK and the support that they provide.

Digger said:
I dont think you will find anyone who is not VERY satisfied with their ELK and the support that they provide.
Amen to that! My Elk is just about the most reliable thing I've ever purchased, period.

Back