Elk Control Questions

Photon

I had decided on a Caddx system until I started reading about the Elk. The Elk certainly looks like the superior system, but I have some questions about access:

1. Is there a simpler, cheaper keypad compared to the ELK-M1KP or M1KP2, more in line with the ~$50 Caddx LED keypads that I could mount in the garage? I'm thinking of entering one's code in the garage which would then release a solenoid latch on the door to the utility room. One wouldn't need to rush into the house to disarm the Elk, and also wouldn't need a key to get in. It would also be nice to view the system status before entering in case someone broke in through the back of the house and is waiting inside.

2. How far away from the ELK-M1KP can one mount the proximity reader? If they can be mounted a few feet away, I could mount that in the garage. Then I could use an external indicator light/strobe to observe status before entering, although it wouldn't indicate which zone(s) were violated. This might be best considering the WAF.

I thought about a completely independent keypad/magnetic strike system that the ELK could monitor, but that doesn't seem like the right way to go. It looses the programming and logging ability that Elk includes, and it is more complicated.

1. Is there a simpler, cheaper keypad compared to the ELK-M1KP or M1KP2, more in line with the ~$50 Caddx LED keypads that I could mount in the garage? I'm thinking of entering one's code in the garage which would then release a solenoid latch on the door to the utility room. One wouldn't need to rush into the house to disarm the Elk, and also wouldn't need a key to get in. It would also be nice to view the system status before entering in case someone broke in through the back of the house and is waiting inside.

We have a new decora style arming station that fits in a single gang electrical box in final development. It has Ready, Trouble, and Armed LEDs plus a full keypad. It was designed exactly for what you are looking for, a low cost keypad to arm/disarm the system for the occassional use locations. It also has the ability to activate the 6 functions keys.

2. How far away from the ELK-M1KP can one mount the proximity reader? If they can be mounted a few feet away, I could mount that in the garage. Then I could use an external indicator light/strobe to observe status before entering, although it wouldn't indicate which zone(s) were violated. This might be best considering the WAF.

You need to use a self contained 26 bit Weigand Output Prox Reader. If you want to keep compatibilty with the Prox reader in any keypad, you need to use the Rosslaire Prox Readers. ELK has a self contained Rosslare compatible Prox Reader available. If compatibilty is not an issue, any 26 bit Weigand reader will work, keypad, prox, magstripe, etc. You can run a hundred feet with no problem. Most self contained prox readers have one or two status indicator LED's which can be controlled from a M1 output with a RULE to indicate zone status and arming state.

For limited access control, the M1 will handle 99 and soon 199 user cards and all the control capability associated with the Rule Engine.

Yep, Elk is looking better all the time. Thanks for the quick reply. The way things are going, your arming station will be out of development well before our new house is ready to move into!

You can always install the wireless expander and control up to 6 actions remotely with the 4-buttons keyfob.

Back