Elk Help

With the size of your installation and its related wiring distances you need to break up the main power supply(s) runs. For instance if you take the first method in the drawing below, if ANY of the wiring shorts to one single device, you take down the ENTIRE supply (after drawing the fused two amps through your wiring/device).

In the second case you will only take down the 'leg' going to the individual single feed from the power distribution supply's output (which is fused at a lot lower amperage).

You can have multiple devices off of one power distribution output, just make sure you don't exceed 80% of the fused rating. This would be a lot safer and give you a place to terminate the power distribution runs to all those devices as well.

You can also fuse the runs, or combined runs with in-line fuse holders, but this can get messy when terminating a lot of devices.

JMO :nutz:

Hi could I ask you how many of the power distribution modules can be used for any 1 power supply? If I have a 2.5amp power supply, how does that feed into multiple modules? I seem to have:

7 motions
19 Glass Breaks
4 smoke Detectors (in series)
2 CO Detectors
1 Heat Sensor
4 Arming stations
5 Keypads (all keypads and arming stations are in series.

So how many of the power modules would i need here for the 1st floor? Total amps drawn (max is 2.83). ALso how big of an external power supply unit would I need?

For the second floor, I assume I would need the same type of setup:

2 Motions
7 Glass Breaks
1 Siren
5 Smoke Detectors (series)
5 CO detectors
1 Heat sensor

So would it be ok if I used a 2.5amp external power supply and how many power modules?

thanks for your help.

With the size of your installation and its related wiring distances you need to break up the main power supply(s) runs. For instance if you take the first method in the drawing below, if ANY of the wiring shorts to one single device, you take down the ENTIRE supply (after drawing the fused two amps through your wiring/device).

In the second case you will only take down the 'leg' going to the individual single feed from the power distribution supply's output (which is fused at a lot lower amperage).

You can have multiple devices off of one power distribution output, just make sure you don't exceed 80% of the fused rating. This would be a lot safer and give you a place to terminate the power distribution runs to all those devices as well.

You can also fuse the runs, or combined runs with in-line fuse holders, but this can get messy when terminating a lot of devices.

JMO :nutz:

Hi could I ask you how many of the power distribution modules can be used for any 1 power supply? If I have a 2.5amp power supply, how does that feed into multiple modules? I seem to have:

7 motions
19 Glass Breaks
4 smoke Detectors (in series)
2 CO Detectors
1 Heat Sensor
4 Arming stations
5 Keypads (all keypads and arming stations are in series.

So how many of the power modules would i need here for the 1st floor? Total amps drawn (max is 2.83). ALso how big of an external power supply unit would I need?

For the second floor, I assume I would need the same type of setup:

2 Motions
7 Glass Breaks
1 Siren
5 Smoke Detectors (series)
5 CO detectors
1 Heat sensor

So would it be ok if I used a 2.5amp external power supply and how many power modules?

thanks for your help.

There is no limit, as long as you are within the amperage draw after everything is all hooked up.

Back