Elk HVAC w/o comm. thermostats

RSlogix5000

Greetings all,

I would like to purchase an Elk M1 Gold to immediately replace a pair of malfunctioning thermostats that nearly broke my outdoor units (Hunter touchscreens with sticking contacts).

Can I run an HVAC process using the Elk Keypads as indoor temperature sensors and setpoint interfaces, without purchasing communicating thermostats? Will Elk's HVAC functions work properly this way if I use Elk's output contacts to directly operate the motor contactors in my HVAC equipment? I have no damper zoning but am using two separate dual stage heatpumps. Would a process like this use up too much program memory? Would like to replicate all t-stat functions.

I don't know much about Elk's programming language yet, but I manage the process control systems in Honeywell Experion and Rockwell ControlLogix at an oil&gas plant for a living, and can figure out most control schema quickly. I just don't want to buy these systems for home use :).

I think going with an communicating t-stat would be a more reliable and appropriate way to go.

Can it be done with enough effort and hardware the other way, sure, but I'd call it reinventing the wheel when a better solution, albeit more investment out of pocket initially.

Back