Elk installer in Seattle

jamieei

Can anyone recommend one? I have tried contacting Elk, but for some reason their WA rep is being very slow to get in touch.

Aha, I'm a noob and didn't know there was a directory. There's only one company listed in WA though (http://www.convergedgreen.com[background=rgb(232, 247, 233)])[/background], and it doesn't look like they do Elk. Any additional recommendations would be much appreciated!

You can contact Dan at Rainier Security Services. He is familiar with ELK. Maybe he can help.
I don't have his office number handy, sorry.

Unfortunately, finding someone who works with high-end systems can be a challenge; but it's worth the work. Hopefully the distributor will respond with a useful contact!

Elk finally put me in touch with Arnost Fronek of IDS Audio Video (www.ids-nw.net), and I think we're going with him. I'll update this thread with my experiences in case it is useful to anyone else.

any update on your install? i am also looking for an installer for elk M1 system in Mukilteo area.

Mcho3,

Small world.  I am in Mukilteo also.  I already had the wiring in my place but I set up my Elk M1 and then integrated it with an ISY99 for lighting control.  I'm not sure of an installer in our area familiar with Elk so that is why I did it myself but if you run into trouble I can probably be of assistance.

I finally wound up doing the install myself.

Arnost/IDS gave me a reasonable quote, but I could never get him to actually come do the work.

I almost went with Maxtech (maxtechseattle.com). The guy I talked to was Erik Yurkanin. Very professional, and I think he would have done a great job. In the end they were just too expensive though. Labor was $75/hr, and after 2+ months of research while looking for an installer I felt like I had learned enough that I could do it on my own.

narih1,
It would be great. I just started looking at ELK M1 and I have several question regarding the setup.
My house is currently being built and they are going to have first floor framed by the end of second week of Sep and I am trying to get things all setup.
I will try to figure out how to PM you to send you my contact.

DELInstallations said:
$75/hour is cheap.
+1. Understand doing it yourself and that's great, but when you do need pro help, that's a very good rate.

Here's a thought not directed at the OP specifically, but one with which many here can likely identify (and others need to consider): Many individuals with "corporate" jobs take their salary and divide by 40 or so hours/week and think "Well, that's a reasonable price to pay per hour" (and they often think a bit less is really the appropriate price, given their perception of their own value). But it's all but impossible for a tradesman / craftsman / etc. working on their own or for a small firm to actually bill anything close to 40 hours, consistently. There's travel time, partial days that can't be fully booked, missed customer appointments, materials handling, training, overhead and benefits that an employer is paying for (most employees forget those costs and just calculate based on their salary when making that mental comparison) and even admin such as billing or product research that often prevent this. Thus, the time for which a customer actually pays must cover all that unbillable time and overhead for the tradesman / craftsman to actually make a decent living. They're not overcharging in any way, as all companies do this (and must do it) to remain profitable and have a decent standard of living. We just SEE the hourly rate for those working in the trades, and then make an incomplete comparison. The same is true for most consultants and many creatives.

I just point this out to remind us all that quality isn't cheap, and that there's much more behind that hourly rate than the time the person spends actually working in your house, on your project.

Agree wholehearedly Codger.

People forget the overhead for just rolling a truck, let alone any skilled portion of the trade. $75/hour for parts and smarts is even cheap, let alone just smarts.

Some of our sites with SSA's pay a heck of a lot more for that just to have the manufacturer answer questions when they're called.

Back