Elk Internet based monitoring

afenn

I've read that the Elk can be monitored via the Internet, but I haven't been able to find any monitoring service that will do so. Honestly, I haven't really looked that hard. I really like to find a reputable service, so I thought I'd ask here first.

Who does this well and is good to do business with?

Also, what does this do, if anything beyond monitoring over a phone line?

Thanks!
Adam

I dont think Next Alarm is up and running yet. Last we heard very soon though. Possibly a matter of a few weeks.

Maybe Dan will jump in.

We can monitor your Elk system over broadband using an ABN adapter right now, but native Elk IP support isn't ready yet. I know some people here are waiting with bated breath for it, and I'll make an announcement here as soon as it is available.

Dan_NA
Thanks for your work on the ethernet interface. Can you give us a ball park time frame? Days, weeks, month, March 4th at 10:42am ;) I don't have a central service monitoring my M1 yet and the WAF is very low. I don't want to purchase the ABN adaptor only to find that ethernet is days away. Thanks

I really can't make any guarantees, but at this point I would say hold off on buying an ABN adapter if you have an Elk system.

Dan,

Is there any news about Internet IP based monitoring?

Can you provide any info on how this will be configured or used? Should I sign up now and attempt to use my VOIP line or should I keep waiting for the IP monitoring? Will it be easy to switch from one mode to the other or should I just be patient?

I know it's taking forever, and I'm hesistant at this point to say anything regarding specific timeframes about it in case I'm wrong again, but it definitely is coming. Some other projects ended up taking priority over it, which is unfortunate but is just the way things turned out. I am keeping a list of everyone who is interested in it, and you'll be the first to know as soon as it's ready for public testing.

I am keeping a list of everyone who is interested in it, and you'll be the first to know as soon as it's ready for public testing.

I hope I am near the top of the list (I know I am at the top of other lists :huh: ).

I also hope its available before I go away this summer. I would like to have it up and running for a few weeks before I go away to make sure there are no bugs etc.

Dan, can you provide any answers or opinions about my second set of questions (above)? Should I start with phone or simply wait for ethernet?

WayneW said:
Can you provide any info on how this will be configured or used? Should I sign up now and attempt to use my VOIP line or should I keep waiting for the IP monitoring? Will it be easy to switch from one mode to the other or should I just be patient?
We don't have an Elk in the office at this time to test with (we've been using a Simon with a GE Ethernet module, which uses the same receiver software), but there should be options in the Elk programming to make it send signals via IP rather than via phone line. We'll give you an IP address, port number, and a few other settings, and you'll program them into the Elk to make it report to us.

I don't recommend trying to use your VoIP line. A regular phone line will work fine, or our ABN solution.

As far as switching your account back and forth between phone or ABN and native IP monitoring, you can switch as often as you like as far as we're concerned. There won't be any additional charges for switching or waiting periods or anything like that. Once the IP receiver is set up, you'll be able to send signals to it, the ABN receiver, or the regular phone line receiver as needed, as long as you're able to make the necessary changes to your alarm system's programming.

:) I just ordered a "real" phone line for my monitoring. I too am interested in IP based monitoring when it happens, but need to keep the wife happy in the short term!

Dan, I'm sure there are a few of us with Elks and the Ethernet module that also have Nextalarm accounts that would be willing to configure up our systems to also generate Ethernet signals to help y'all test.

Perhaps there could be a test mode switch based on monitoring type that would allow our phone signals to be "live" and the Ethernet signals to be in test mode, if that would help.

Having "duplicate" signals from two interfaces would also be a good test mode to ensure that you receive everything. That is, a signal received over only one interface would be an error.

In any case, we're willing to help at any stage in the testing.

I've got two Elks with XEPs setup on accounts with you now.

Back