Elk keypad question, + a couple others

MikeB

Hoping to order up my Elk system today.

Two questions:

1 - The Elk manual says they recommend Cat 5 or Cat 6 for the keypads. However, my existing DSC keypads have standard 4-wire alarm cable running to them. Is this sufficient? Will I suffer any limitations?

2 - Looks like Elk has a variety of keypads available, shown here: http://www.elkproducts.com/products/m1/M1_Keypads.htm. Not sure I like the exposed buttons on the ELK-M1KP2. My home is high-tech looking as it is. Anyone have any first-hand opinions? Is there a preferred keypad to go with?

Thanks!

Hi Mike,

I also only have 4 wires to my ELK-M1. I have two ELK-M1KPB's (one by the front door and one in the master bedroom), and an ELK-M1KP2 with a flush mount kit in the laundry room, as well as an ELK-M1XIN. This makes four RS-485 devices on one bus. Two of the keypads are terminated to define the ends of the bus. Since there are only 4 wires it is next to impossible to daisy chain the wires as you could with a CAT5 cable. I ended up connecting them in more of a parallel manor. Occasionally (once every month or two), my keypads will start beeping, one beep every minute or so. There are no messages in my ELK RP logs, and I am up to date on all firmware, so I suspect it may be due to my quasi-daisy chain with only 4 wires. I will be ordering a ELK-M1DBHR to see if it fixes the issue.

BTW, IMHO, the ELK-M1KPB looks the most high end of all of the keypads. The other keypads just look like typical alarm keypads.
Best of luck,

Rod

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder :huh: The M1KP is the original and has the most features (temp sensor and 6 function keys). It only surface mounts. The KPB is identical with a blue display instead of green. The KP2 came next and it both surface and flush mounts. The KP3 is essentially the same as the KP2 with a cover over the keys and it came from the ELk partner Ness down under. There is also the KPAS arming station which fits right in a 1 gang decorator switch plate and is great for simple arming/disarming where you don't need a display screen, etc. The trend lately is blue and thy all have blue displays and/or backlight except the original KP.

Whether you wire with 22/4 or Cat5 the kpd will work exactly the same. Just as mentioned you can't use the DBH hub with 22/4, only Cat5. If you have several keypads and other deices homerun then the retrofit hub DBHR will make things a little simpler for you.

Hi Mike,

I also only have 4 wires to my ELK-M1. I have two ELK-M1KPB's (one by the front door and one in the master bedroom), and an ELK-M1KP2 with a flush mount kit in the laundry room, as well as an ELK-M1XIN. This makes four RS-485 devices on one bus. Two of the keypads are terminated to define the ends of the bus. Since there are only 4 wires it is next to impossible to daisy chain the wires as you could with a CAT5 cable. I ended up connecting them in more of a parallel manor. Occasionally (once every month or two), my keypads will start beeping, one beep every minute or so. There are no messages in my ELK RP logs, and I am up to date on all firmware, so I suspect it may be due to my quasi-daisy chain with only 4 wires. I will be ordering a ELK-M1DBHR to see if it fixes the issue.

BTW, IMHO, the ELK-M1KPB looks the most high end of all of the keypads. The other keypads just look like typical alarm keypads.
Best of luck,

Rod

I have multiple keypads and expansion modules and all are parallel on the 4 wire bus. If I remember correctly I am up to 3 keypads (one more to install yet), 3 zone expanders, 2 relay boards, one serial module (more to add later) on the 4 wire bus with no problems. Every situation is different but you might want to double check your wiring and terminations. Just a thought.

I also used the retrofit hub to make it easier.

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up ordering the kit that includes the KP2, plus a KP3. The KP just looked a bit 'loud' to me, and I'm not sure the wife would like it in the kitchen. :unsure:

I only have 2 keypads on my DSC, and I believe they are both home run.

Back