ELK LCD controller selection

alexh

Hi all,

Decided on a ELK security system that I will be installing myself. I almost bought the ELK LCD but after reading up on the pros/cons for my situation I think a 3'rd party windows or android device will be better at my front door entry. My ELK controller will be in a closet right next to the front door so even if a wall mounted pad device is down for some reason I will have a simple keypad right next to the ELK controller for alarm deactivation.

I have run hardwire Ethernet to the ELK controller location.  I can do a flush mount PAD install and run wires to the ELK controller as necessary (it's only 3' away).I'm  not planning on implementing any home automation functions - at most I would add a camera. Of course I will have the ELKRP SW on a PC.

So my confusion is on the PAD type/OS selection - I don't own any portable devices so I'm not really up on what works best for this application. Some of the issues I have read about relate to powering the device continuously, ability to bring device out of sleep mode, connection to the ELK controller etc.

So if someone could make a proven suggestion of the components required to do this I would be grateful. Cost is not a big concern but frankly I don't see a reason to spend a lot for something that is mostly just a keypad.

Thanks

Would this be your 'main' source for arming and disarming your system (sounds like it)?  Why did you decide against the Elk LCD (I'm assuming you mean the Navigator)?

Yes, main source next to front door entry but as I said there would be a simple backup keypad in the closet, same location.

I could go with the ELK navigator, it has come down in price quite a bit.
It's just that I read there is no good reason to go with it save for a direct, secure connection to controller.

Also, I have read that it's so small that there tends to be a lot of mistypes on the keypad.
Admittedly,  I'm not sure there is a good reason not to with a traditional keypad like a M1-KP other than the cool factor.

I don't have a lot of experience with high end alarms but for example if you are setting the alarm, but it prevents you because a window sensor is tripped you may want to override this for various reasons. I would imagine it might be easier to quickly determine which sensor is tripped on a graphical display?

Personally, the reasons above would make myself lean towards the more secure and robust unit specifically for arm/disarm.

If the system has enough expansion installed and the text descriptors are appropriate, I fail to see how a graphical representation of such would really make that much more of a difference.

There's far enough ways to modify or tweak the Elk to set the UI and functionality to be as basic/simple or as secure as you really want it to be.

In the realm of high end systems and installs, there's always going to be a hardwired keypad installed somewhere. Without getting into the whole reason argument, which I believe you already are aware of the key points.

The only reason I could see would be the direct integration of video, intercom, etc. but again, is that truly needed within 10' of the front door and is it worth all the compromise and headaches...?

How about what happens if your Idroid Epad lite vera casa software is no longer supported? Ok, let's move to the next SW or platform...lets install a Clapper light Fire pad and we're ok......

What is the key factor in my head is you're installing some of the hardware of a larger system and not the other. We're not talking a huge integrated project like a Crestron or AMX system. Not saying it's not doable, but what do you really gain?

OK, you have convinced me especially given the ELK NAV price reduction I just noticed.

Thanks

If you want a very small footprint you could always just mount an arming station there.  I have one of those on my front door.  The buttons are a bit small, but not really a problem and it does have a really small footprint for the living room.

we have all most of the elk KPs. the KPNav is nice, but the screen is very small and it feels very fragile. Probably not the best option if you have kids or renters. I would imagine you need at least one, old fashioned KP in case if you decide to go with a tablet or other aftermaket device and software.

Downside of the KPAS, is unless you specifically remember the functions assigned, the F function key is essentially worthless, no real feedback, especially if used for panic keys.

Personnel opinion......

I would use an IPAD Mini Running EKeypad.  It can do everything the Navigator can and much more.  Plus the screen is about twice the size.  Since the regular keypad is just in the closet you have something to fall back on.  Just power the IPAD Mini correctly and try and keep the backlight dimmed a little to conserve power.

You can then view your cameras (assuming IP Cameras) and also control your M1.  Always room to add automation later :)

Back