Elk M1 and Evironmental monitoring

english_1969

I am in the process of constructing a new house and have planned on using the Elk M1 as a hub for controlling HVAC, security and lighting. I am using UPB and planning on using the RCS t-stats.

My question is, does the elk have a way of connecting temp and humidty sensors? On their web-site, I see only temp sensors.

Also, I am planning on using homeseer to collect data and do some other items, but would like the Elk to be the hub of control and monitoring.

Another question then, can I collect and trend data that is present on the Elk in Homeseer?

lazyone

You can collect and trend data with your proposed setup. There are various ways. There are pay plug-ins for HS that can collect and trend, but I have approached it a different way.

My current setup:

* HS 1.7
* Electron's my.elk script to connect Elk to HS (free)
* Use a simple HS script to write a csv text file (free)
* Import into Excel and trend away

Not very cool, but I trend 4 different temperatures this way.

What I am working toward:

* HS 1.7
* my.elk script for Elk to HS
* somehow get HS to Catci - http://cacti.net/ - for trending any HS variable

This looks really cool. I plan to get this working unless someone can give me an easier and similar priced option.

I truely think if a DIY priced Home Automation package had an Elk Plug-in and a nice historical trending package, I would immediately switch to that, but I have not found that yet.

Hope that helps.

lz