Elk M1 and the M1RB + M1XOVR wiring?

bucko

I'm trying to get my head around addressing the outputs of the M1RB and the M1XOVR as it relates to to M1 control. I cannot find info, searched long time.

First off, I am using J-16 on the M1 to connect to my M1TWA(J4). But I still need programmable outputs via the M1RB and the M1XVOR available through the RP software programming. I jumpered M1RB (J1) to the M1XVOR (J3). Then ran data connection between my DBHUB and the data connector of the M1XVOR. I set the address to 2.

Should I now be able to program the 8 relays of the M1XVOR plus have the 8 relays of the M1RB. So I would have a total of 16 programmable relays present?

I will use the M1RB relays to connect to the ELK 124 to fire custom sounds. The 124 audio out connects to pin J5 and J6 on the M1TWA (J1).

Is this a correct way to do this? I am just at the connections phase before I power anything up.

Thanks...

I didn't follow the details too closely to make sure you wired correctly... but here's some input:

1: Don't hook everything up perfect, then power it up - things may work, but more likely than not, they won't - and it'll make troubleshooting more difficult. Start small, then grow - that way when something goes wrong, you don't have to step back too far.

2: I think you have the basic understanding correct - the first 10 or so (don't have the exact number handy) outputs are onboard; as you add from there they increment above that. As you add more XOVR's, you add 16 more outputs each time - up to 64 I think is the max?

The Elk124 is one of my favorite tricks which I haven't heard of many others doing - but in my case, I used the 8 onboard voltage-only outputs from the M1 to drive the Elk124 for my custom sounds and wired each of the voltage outputs to the trigger on the 124. It'd be wasteful to add the 124 through relays - honestly it's a waste of relays and power to run each output. You can skip the M1RB and use the 2nd set of 8 outputs on an M1XOVR (the voltage only outputs) to directly drive the triggers. Just make sure the M1XOVR and the Elk124 are powered off the Elk, or have the grounds tied together for a common ground.

I would like the Elk124 but its a bit pricy in my opinion...Ill wait till I can find a deal @$100 or less

How many total recordable sounds can the Elk124 hold? is it 8 only?

edit: found the manual, yes 8 recordable sounds

I didn't follow the details too closely to make sure you wired correctly... but here's some input:

1: Don't hook everything up perfect, then power it up - things may work, but more likely than not, they won't - and it'll make troubleshooting more difficult. Start small, then grow - that way when something goes wrong, you don't have to step back too far.

2: I think you have the basic understanding correct - the first 10 or so (don't have the exact number handy) outputs are onboard; as you add from there they increment above that. As you add more XOVR's, you add 16 more outputs each time - up to 64 I think is the max?

The Elk124 is one of my favorite tricks which I haven't heard of many others doing - but in my case, I used the 8 onboard voltage-only outputs from the M1 to drive the Elk124 for my custom sounds and wired each of the voltage outputs to the trigger on the 124. It'd be wasteful to add the 124 through relays - honestly it's a waste of relays and power to run each output. You can skip the M1RB and use the 2nd set of 8 outputs on an M1XOVR (the voltage only outputs) to directly drive the triggers. Just make sure the M1XOVR and the Elk124 are powered off the Elk, or have the grounds tied together for a common ground.
hanks for your reply. Could you elaborate a bit on some of your points for me?
In #2 you saod a XVOR adds 16 outpus each time. I thought it only has 8 outputs on each XVOR.
You are saying to use the XVOR to trigger the 124 and not use the M1RB? Should I NOT jumper the M1RB and the XVOR together using the 12 pin ribbon cable? I'm not sure I understand how you did this with your 124 setup.

Thanks

My thinking is @work2play used the onboard J16 outputs from the M1 board, no external add ons

---(correct me if Im wrong)

treo is correct - I used the onboard voltage-only outputs... but that doesn't change much.

The M1XOVR adds 16 outputs - 8 of them are full relays, and 8 are voltage-only triggers. When you tie the M1RB into the M1XOVR, it turns the additional 8 voltage-only outputs into full relays, so you end up with a total of 16 relay outputs for the combination of the two.

That said, the Elk124 doesn't require full relays - it can be driven directly off the voltage triggers either onboard, or the second half of the XOVR.

Make sense?

OK Coconut. I think I follow. I say I think because I haven't fired up the RP software yet and I am not familiar with it. In fact, I haven't powered up anything yet. I am just wiring it now and am a newbi with the ELK. Now I have to wait for longer until I get 2 more Elk 1640's here to power my PS212's. Looks like a few weeks to get it here to China.

Once I get up and start the RP software, I may have to revisit this situation.

But I understand from what you are saying, I should wire the 124 to operate with the XVOR so I can use it to fire the voltage triggers, and not use the M1RB relays for this function. I will change my wiring to do it this way now.

Thanks

Back