Elk M1 and Z-Wave Lock

Recently installed a Kwikset z-wave pushbutton deadbolt and linked it to a ISY994i which is connected to the ELK M1. My issue is I wrote a program through the ISY to disable the security alarm of the ELK M1 everytime a correct user code is entered on the Kwikset deadbolt. This works fine if you wait about 3 to 5 seconds before opening the door to give the z-wave enough time to commuicate with the ISY inwhich then tells the ELK M1 to disable the alarm. But what usually happens after you push the 4 digit code on the deadbolt you immediately open the door before the z-wave has time to communicate ith the ELK to disable the alarm sending it into the count down mode. Once that happens the z-wave signinal that once sent to shut down the alarm will not work. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem? Is there away to delay the door contact signal a few seconds so that it does not trip the alarm?

What protection does your Kwikset deadbolt have keeping anyone from standing outside the front door and trying code after code? 

So, I could stand outside and try combination after combination, day after day... and not only unlock the door, but disarm the alarm when I enter!

Even though it's obviously possible, the latter is not recommended by Elk because of this. My deadbolt pin(s) are not the same as my Elk codes either ;)

topic has taken a tangent, but the locks I've seen all have lockouts after a certain number of incorrect codes.  This makes trying code-after-code impractical.  

Then again I also have a camera pointed at my door so I'd see if someone was there every day trying!

Work2Play said:
topic has taken a tangent, but the locks I've seen all have lockouts after a certain number of incorrect codes.  This makes trying code-after-code impractical.  

Then again I also have a camera pointed at my door so I'd see if someone was there every day trying!

Sorry for the tangent... to answer the questions:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem? My suggestion is to not disarm your alarm system based on the deadbolt unlocking... here's why above and below ;)

Is there away to delay the door contact signal a few seconds so that it does not trip the alarm? The door contant signal gets to Elk in milliseconds, I don't think you are going to delay that by a few seconds without serious purpose. Technically are ways around this as well if you are really determined to do so; here's one I quickly thought of: You could take your current door input and make it a non-alarm zone. Based on the door opening you could trigger a phantom output to turn on for X seconds. Upon the phantom output turning OFF, you could trigger a real output tied to an input zone, which would now be your "door" input zone.

Having said that, as above, there is no way in.... yeah, that I'm going to trigger my alarm system to be disarmed by the opening of my deadbolt. I MUCH prefer the 2-part authentication that I presently use; in my case it's 2 PINs, but not unlike the general idea of something you have and something you know (e.g. prox and pin, or smart card and pin, etc). I don't even feel that I have anything of major value in my home other than a lot of material things, but I'm not going to do things to make it any easier for you to get in and defeat.

Thanks for the comments! I think i'm going to rethink my idea of having the alarm system turn off when the correct key code is entered. I'll keep you guys posted what I do! 

Back