Elk M1 as a Dry Contact Insteon Transmitter

upstatemike

Just looked that the SimpleHomeNet Insteon dry contact transmitter which offers 3 dry contact inputs for $130 or about $43.33 per input.

If I buy a bare bones M1 for $310 and add the lighting interface for $50 and an Insteon PLC for $60 (plus $6 for a transformer for the Elk) then I would have a 16 channel dry contact insteon transmitter for $426 or $26.63 per input.

If I buy 12 zone expanders at $50 each then I get 208 inputs for $1,026 or $4.93 per input.

It looks like the cheapest way to do Insteon transmits from dry contact closures is to dedicate an M1 to that task rather than buying purpose built Insteon dry contact transmitters.

upstatemike said:
It looks like the cheapest way to do Insteon transmits from dry contact closures is to dedicate an M1 to that task rather than buying purpose built Insteon dry contact transmitters.
I think that depends upon the scale. Your math only works if you want 10 or more inputs in one place.

How about a M1EZ8 board only with a M1XSP serial port expander. That is 8 inputs expandable to 200 inputs. You will need a M1EZ8MSI for programming.

If you can talk yourself into it... I'd highly recommend the Elk approach. It works very well for Insteon / motion stuff for me.

Theres an M1 System up on eBay right now. I dont know the reserve price but it cant hurt to bid a few bucks on it.......... if you are interested.

Back