Elk M1 Communication Trouble Question

Mike P

Hi,

I have a question about fail to comm messages in my log. I have my M1 programmed to dial my cell phone at 8:15am m-f is the system is disarmed(If the last one out forgets to arm the system). Upon receiving the call, I use Ekey to arm the system. Upon looking at my log, I see that at 8:15 the rule(1378 rule triggered voice telephone dial) happens. And then at 8:17 I see a message in the log(1130 Fail to Communicate Trouble). I looks like this happens every time the rule triggers.

My question is why am I getting the trouble in the log? Is it because I do not answer the call...The M1 calls me twice, I know what the call is so I don't answer it and go straight to Ekey and arm the system. Or is there a problem with my rules.

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Mike :hesaid:

My question is why am I getting the trouble in the log? Is it because I do not answer the call...The M1 calls me twice, I know what the call is so I don't answer it and go straight to Ekey and arm the system. Or is there a problem with my rules.
I would speculate that because the phone wasn't answered, the M1 considers it a failure to deliver the payload. On the other hand, I assume your cell has voicemail, so that should fool the M1 into delivering the payload.

I would speculate that because the phone wasn't answered, the M1 considers it a failure to deliver the payload. On the other hand, I assume your cell has voicemail, so that should fool the M1 into delivering the payload.
Wayne,

Correct, I receive two voice mails when I do not answer the phone. So you would think the M1 considers the message delivered. Another question is, if the first call is received by VM why is there a second call? I guess the M1 does not reconize VM as an delivered message. I think if it does not receive a # response it treats it as a failed call. If this is the case, is this the cause of my trouble messages?

Mike

Yeah, if the M1 is demanding a "#" key be pressed to confirm payload delivery (I have never used this feature), then you have your explanation. The M1 knows the payload wasn't delivered to a responsible human.

Back