ELK M1 F-key Assignments

raymondh

I have the F5 key set to fire a rule that will close output 3 for 2-seconds to open my garage door. It works but the key press is a bit ugly. It beeps twice and displays that the key is not currently assigned anything and to press it again. On the second press it beeps and the garage door is opened.

Is there a way to just press it once and have it fire the rule off without giving me the error?

In the Elk software, I believe under KP setup, there is a area to label it and check for only one press.

My wording is a bit off but you'll see it.

Assign the Function Key definition to "16-NonAlarm" so that it will not complain that you are pushing a key that does nothing.

The way I did it was to assign the function key to a automation task and then added a rule that when the automation task was activated it would turn on the garage door output for 1 seconds. No complaints from the keypad

How do you implement having a output open the garage door? I would like to be able to close (or open) the garage doors via automation. The doors are installed and we wired for a security sensor to tell if they are closed or not. We have not installed the openers yet. There is wiring in the finsihed wall that the builder had installed were the control inside the garage will go, but nothing hooked up yet. There is access in the attic above the garage to the wall adjacent to the one that the Elk is mounted in so it is possible to run a wire from the Elk over to the area above where the openers will be mounted. I will also have a remote keypad for the openers outside the garage. I think this will be wireless (RF?).

What are some recommendations on how to wire this up to allow the Elk to open or close the garage based on rules or function keys?

How do you implement having a output open the garage door? I would like to be able to close (or open) the garage doors via automation. The doors are installed and we wired for a security sensor to tell if they are closed or not. We have not installed the openers yet. There is wiring in the finsihed wall that the builder had installed were the control inside the garage will go, but nothing hooked up yet. There is access in the attic above the garage to the wall adjacent to the one that the Elk is mounted in so it is possible to run a wire from the Elk over to the area above where the openers will be mounted. I will also have a remote keypad for the openers outside the garage. I think this will be wireless (RF?).

What are some recommendations on how to wire this up to allow the Elk to open or close the garage based on rules or function keys?

I just wired mine to output 3 on the m1.

I just wired mine to output 3 on the m1.

Unfortunately, it isn't clear to me just how the Elk LV output is wired to the garage door opener. Is it in parallel with the wires coming from the regular wall control to the opener (if these are low voltage)? When I asked the builder about it he said that the electician would have had to have wired a special switchable plug or something when the walls were open, but that doesn't sound right.

Can anyone suggest a link that would layout what steps are required to get low voltage control to open and close the garage doors?

The best thing is to confirm the connection with the installer. If you have a simple pushbutton on the wall to operate the door you simply parallel a set of normally open relay contacts with that pushbutton. If this isn't the case you need to look into the wiring a little deeper. Check the terminals on the door opener itself and see if it shows where the NO door button wires. There should only be a few connections, the button and probably the wires that go to your safety circuit (usually electric eyes).

While I hate to make wide sweeping generic statements about all garage door openers, every single unit I have ever seen or installed has a set of contacts somewhere on the opener that allow you to connect a normally open push button switch. This is probably the same set of contacts that go to your button in the garage to open or close the door. Close the circuit with a momentary switch and the door either opens or closes depending on its current state. In most cases the wiring for the eye at the lower part of the door connects to one or both of these or has a separate set of connectors you really don't need to worry about.

Simply connect a relay output on the M1 (Normally Open) to the same two terminals and pulse the relay for one second to intitiate movement. If you want to get fancy you can use a set of sensors to determine if the door is up or down. This way if you want to automatically close your door at a specific time you read the value of the sensor (a simple switch, probably magnetic) and determine whether or not you need to pulse the relay to close the door.

A garage door is probably the easiest device to automate in an entire house but you must be careful moving the door without some sort of warning if you do it at times when people might be around the garage or the door.

Dale

The garage controller that I will be using also has a photo electric overide capability. I will be installing this in between the gararge door opening and wiring it back to the controller. I will also have a reed switch to let me know when the do is in the closed (and opened) position. The reed switch also provides security monitoring of the door when in the AWAY mode.

This way I can set up a rule in M1 with the knowledge that if I close the door there is nothing in the doors closing path (well at least at the 600mm off floor level) The two sliding gates at the front will also have the same sensory feedback to M1 so I know if either or gate is open or closed and if there is something in the open to the gates.

The photo electric device are around the $150 per set and will give me some piece of mind when I automate the doors/gates by rules.

Cheers,

Fleetz

What I have found also useful is to have the F key flash when the garage door is open. That way I can be in my bedroom and see someone left the garage door open at night and close it from right there in the bedroom by pressing the F key. Just a matter of assigning the F key status to the state of the garage door sensor.

What I have found also useful is to have the F key flash when the garage door is open. That way I can be in my bedroom and see someone left the garage door open at night and close it from right there in the bedroom by pressing the F key. Just a matter of assigning the F key status to the state of the garage door sensor.

You can tell the keypad to beep if the zone is violated after a certian time also. Less chance of forgetting about it.

Back