ELK M1 firmware upgrades and downgrades.

AnotherOne

I'm running firmware from September and would like to upgrade to the latest ELKRP and firmware, BUT I'm worried that some of my custom stuff may break. I have a multithreaded monitoring program that monitors every change on the elk via the ethernet serial protocol and every change on my lighting control system and takes actions based on events, times, temperatures by having the elk send strings via serial port 1 to the lighting control system, etc.

I'm worried that when I upgrade things may not work properly and I'd like to go back to the versions I'm running currently while I ponder the problems and fixes.

So, can I downgrade the m1, ethernet driver, serial expansion, keypads, etc by just reloading the firmware?
I assume I have to save all the projects, etc off in another directory.

Thanks.

I'm running firmware from September and would like to upgrade to the latest ELKRP and firmware, BUT I'm worried that some of my custom stuff may break. I have a multithreaded monitoring program that monitors every change on the elk via the ethernet serial protocol and every change on my lighting control system and takes actions based on events, times, temperatures by having the elk send strings via serial port 1 to the lighting control system, etc.

I'm worried that when I upgrade things may not work properly and I'd like to go back to the versions I'm running currently while I ponder the problems and fixes.

So, can I downgrade the m1, ethernet driver, serial expansion, keypads, etc by just reloading the firmware?
I assume I have to save all the projects, etc off in another directory.

Thanks.

I just switched out my Elk wireless receiver for the GE model which requires me to go from firmware 5 back to 4, I am about to get ready to do it, I'll let ya know how it works.

I just switched out my Elk wireless receiver for the GE model which requires me to go from firmware 5 back to 4, I am about to get ready to do it, I'll let ya know how it works.

Just curious why did you switch I thought the Elk was nicer for my install.

I think David had some SAW motion detectors that would not install.

I think David had some SAW motion detectors that would not install.

Maybe someone will have time to put a lits together of what is SAW and what is Crystal. I think a lot of people might have a mixture and not realize it.

I switched as Spanky said because I had some SAW sensors. While I liked the looks and features of the ELK receiver better (better coverage, ability to link multiple units together, etc.) it just wasn't worth me upgrading all my sensors to Crystal from SAW. I did a count and I have 8 wireless smoke detectors, 6 wireless motions, and 16 wireless glass breaks, if you do the math that is a paychecks worth of upgrades. I was able to get the 548E installed in about 2 minutes and downgraded my firmware to 4 from 5. The downgrade went smoothly without a hitch and the 548E worked flawlessly. Even indicated one of my batteries was low which is an awesome feature.

Spanky was very helpful and I am sure their wireless receiver is awesome, just wish I could have used it.

Over the years I've learned not to upgrade software/firmware unless absolutely necessary. I don't know how many wasted hours/days were spent upgrading, getting it to work properly (sometimes failing at that) and trying to go back to the previous version. Elk's download section of their website has something about not upgrading unless you are having problems. In other words: If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Over the years I've learned not to upgrade software/firmware unless absolutely necessary. I don't know how many wasted hours/days were spent upgrading, getting it to work properly (sometimes failing at that) and trying to go back to the previous version. Elk's download section of their website has something about not upgrading unless you are having problems. In other words: If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

I agreee with that statement. BUT, when you have a problem, like I do with the ethernet module, the first thing you get asked is...
are you running the latest software.

I agreee with that statement. BUT, when you have a problem, like I do with the ethernet module, the first thing you get asked is...
are you running the latest software.

That may be because you experienced the reason for the latest firmware upgrade. I have working panels from DTI and Morse I installed 30 years ago and never sent the eprom in for upgrading. Then again, those panels couldn't do a tenth of what the M1 can do.

That may be because you experienced the reason for the latest firmware upgrade. I have working panels from DTI and Morse I installed 30 years ago and never sent the eprom in for upgrading. Then again, those panels couldn't do a tenth of what the M1 can do.

Yea, it's too bad those elk guys keep adding new features and improvements to their products :D

Back