Elk M1 foiled a break-in

In short, the crooks hit the middle class hardest :rockon:. Is there no honor amongst thieves?

Are you sure these crooks aren't politicians too. :p

Yeah, i have both of my Gun Vaults bolted down, and out of plain sight. They have a new one that uses biometrics, and has gotten very good reviews for reliability. In addition to the fingerprint reader, it has the same finger-slot buttons for unlocking it if there is an issue with the fingerprint reader. I haven't personally tried one yet.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. :throwup: I am reminded that I also have some glass breaks that I still need to hook up....

You might want to check out a different option rather than the gunvault (not saying it's bad), but I think this is better in my opinion: In wall safe with simplex lock. http://www.vlineind.com/html/quick_vault.html . Main reasons, no batteries to worry about, installs in the wall so it's bolted down and secure, and it's just nice and heavy and solid.

Glad to hear all is ok, and no one was hurt. If NH is a CCW state might investigate that as well in addition to some training, etc. NRA inside and outside the home safety class.

What do you pay a month, after the initial capital equipment costs?

The equipment I bought on my own partly to drop the land line and partly for security monitoring. It runs about $300.

Monitoring is typically about $10.00 a month (several firms will provide basic service at that rate if you provide your own equipment). You might be able to get it cheaper if you look hard.

If you asking about using a cell phone as a land line, it just costs an extra $10 a month on your normal cell bill (assuming you don't go over your maximum plan minutes, of course.)

You also have to get an additional SIM card (which is $25 from AT&T...be persistent if they don't want to send you one without a phone.) Then you just follow the activation directions in the AGM GSM manual.

You might want to check out a different option rather than the gunvault (not saying it's bad), but I think this is better in my opinion: In wall safe with simplex lock. http://www.vlineind.com/html/quick_vault.html . Main reasons, no batteries to worry about, installs in the wall so it's bolted down and secure, and it's just nice and heavy and solid.

The batteries in my Gun Vault get replaced once a year whether they need it or not :) . You can tell when they are low because the red light will flash on opening. Anyhow - they last a long time - plus the gun vaults can mount anywhere. I can have my weapon in hand without getting out of bed.
If I had kids around, I might change my thinking, youngsters these days could possibly figure out a code if given enough time. Of course it DOES lock out silently after x incorrect attempts making that more difficult.

However, this was a huge wakeup call for me: It is critical to test your alarm system regularly! My failed Ethernet expander meant that I did not receive the alarm notification I was expecting. Most importantly, alarms do very little good if you don't have them monitored.

Firstly, I'm glad no-one was hurt and the bad-guy was scared away. I just wanted to comment that regardless of the method of monitoring used - telephone, email, GSM, whatever, you make a very good point about testing. In fact most people who have their alarms monitored just assume everything is working properly. But I highly recommend that you actually test with the monitoring company on a regular basis to make sure they actually receive the signal. And occasionally make sure they respond too! (Make sure you know the rules they follow - eg, call you first, call friends next, call police, etc).

Another feature many monitoring companies have available but don't often enable is regular self testing whereby the alarm needs to check in on a pre-determined basis, and if it doesn't they will contact you to let you know there's a problem with communications.

Again, glad everything's OK.

I plan to add a big dog to the equation, and then I think we'll have as good as we need.

Hah! We just did that. At 100+ pounds and growing, our Newf's barks sounds like the mythical Chinese Temple dog...but all she'd do is lick you to death!

I crate my GSD at night. So, I'm in the process of obtaining a solenoid to pop the crate open and let him out in the event that the alarm goes off. He's trained for protection and building search, so now I just need to condition him so the sound of the solenoid buzzing causes him to do a building search.

The batteries in my Gun Vault get replaced once a year whether they need it or not :) . You can tell when they are low because the red light will flash on opening. Anyhow - they last a long time - plus the gun vaults can mount anywhere. I can have my weapon in hand without getting out of bed.
If I had kids around, I might change my thinking, youngsters these days could possibly figure out a code if given enough time. Of course it DOES lock out silently after x incorrect attempts making that more difficult.

You do know that you can have up to 6 keypresses for your code, and that each keypress can be a simultaneous press of multiple buttons at one time, right? For example, your code could be:

Taking this into account, there are over 7 million possible codes on a GunVault. (7529536 to be exact)

No kid is gonna get that. But, you're never going to get it either when someone is kicking in your bedroom door. A 6 keypress code with a single digit for each press yields 4096 codes, but this is assuming an attacker knows that it's a six digit code. It would be faster for them to just pry the thing off the floor and take it with them, or find some tools in your garage and cut it open. If I were going to bust one open that was bolted to the floor, I would hit it with a sledge on one of the top front corners to knock the edge of the door outwards so I could get a bite on it with a wrecking bar, and then bend the crap out of the door with the bar. Even if the latch doesn't break, it would be possible to maneuver the contents out of there no problem. Unless you have a .50 Desert Eagle, a sub machinegun, or some other very large handgun in it.

GunVault also makes units with fingerprint scanners on them. I haven't had a lot of luck with the reliability of fingerprint scanners, so I'm avoiding buying one for something where seconds count.

As far as I'm concerned, the Gunvault keeps kids out, and it's a deterrent for stupid criminals. But anyone intelligent enough is going to get into it quickly, and even stupid people with enough time could get into it.

The reality of it is that pretty much all gunsafes on the market are crap. I've seen videos of $2000 safes being tipped over and opened in under 6 seconds by two guys with long wrecking bars. Almost all of those things are just bent sheet metal with sheetrock for fireproofing. Don't believe me? Go pull the carpet off the inside of your big expensive safe, it's just a big tin can with drywall in it. But, they sure have pretty paint jobs. To actually get a safe with a timed burglary rating (not just a timed fire rating), you're probably talking about spending $6k or more.

To give you an idea of a TL-15 rating, which means it will take a skilled thieve 15 minutes to break into it, the safe must meet the following requirements:
Construction Requirements

* U.L. listed Group II, 1 or 1R combination lock.
* 750 lbs. minimum or comes with instructions for anchoring in a larger safe, concrete blocks or on the premises where used.
* Body walls of material equivalent to at least 1" open hearth steel with a minimum tensile strength of 50,000 P.S.I.
* Walls fastened in a manner equivalent to continuous 1/4" penetration weld of open hearth steel with minimum tensile
strength of 50,000 P.S.I.
* One hole 1/4" or less, to accommodate electrical conductors arranged to have no direct view of the door or locking mechanism.

Performance Requirements

Successfully resist entry* for a net working time of 15 minutes when attacked with common hand tools, picking tools, mechanical or portable electric tools, grinding points, carbide drills and pressure applying devices or mechanisms.
U.L. Label —Burglary Classification

A common gun store/sporting goods safe, even the big shiny ones for thousands of dollars with nice automotive paint, have 1/8" or less thickness on the steel. The door plate might be 1/2" thick, but the rest of is most certainly is not anywhere near that.

Don't get me wrong, they certainly serve a purpose. Most burglars will give up if the safe is bolted to the floor, they are definitely a good deterrent and they certainly reduce the number of accidents from kids playing around with the contents. But I certainly wouldn't store my life savings or a bunch of gold in a standard safe from the local sporting goods shop.

I'm building my next safe. All walls and the door plate will be three 1/2" thick plates of steel sandwiched together, with the center layer drilled in a honeycomb pattern and filled with steel or carbide ball bearings to jam up any drilling or cutting. Plus, I've got some other tricks that will make it even more difficult to get into. Why? Because it's fun and I like to build things. :) The safe will probably be worth more than the contents.

I plan to add a big dog to the equation, and then I think we'll have as good as we need.

Hah! We just did that. At 100+ pounds and growing, our Newf's barks sounds like the mythical Chinese Temple dog...but all she'd do is lick you to death!

I crate my GSD at night. So, I'm in the process of obtaining a solenoid to pop the crate open and let him out in the event that the alarm goes off. He's trained for protection and building search, so now I just need to condition him so the sound of the solenoid buzzing causes him to do a building search.

A solenoid on the crate is an excellent idea.

This might help your quest if you haven't found anything yet.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-rtVrFrLULNM/p...elease-Kit.html

http://www.drdetailshop.com/522t.htm

Trunk release solenoids are 12vdc and require a bit of current but they have a good bit of pulling force. I have used them to open trunks, doors, misc other custom applications.

Also they have a noticeable "thud" so it would be easy to train when to "get em".

You may want to consider a magnetic lock in lieu of a soleniod. This way, nothing can get stuck or jammed. Of course you would have to rely on power being applied to the lock for security though.

You do know that you can have up to 6 keypresses for your code, and that each keypress can be a simultaneous press of multiple buttons at one time, right? For example, your code could be:
Yep - I know. I keep it simple because If it needs to come out, it has to happen quick. No fancy stuff there. As far as actual theft of the box, if they get thru my security in time to find and pry it off where it's mounted, they aren't very smart. There is a lot of better / easier stuff for them to steal for a smash / grab.

I'm building my next safe. All walls and the door plate will be three 1/2" thick plates of steel sandwiched together, with the center layer drilled in a honeycomb pattern and filled with steel or carbide ball bearings to jam up any drilling or cutting. Plus, I've got some other tricks that will make it even more difficult to get into.

Glass re-lockers would be cool - I have a safe with that option - it can foil those who have a situation where they had a lot of time to work with it.

Hello and excellent news regarding the Elk Defense;

I understand the frustration you must have felt regarding the failure of the system to notify you via email.
And as was recommended, testing is a good idea. Let me tell you what I have set up...

My ELK controls all exterior and some interior lighting every day based on the moving "SUNRISE/SUNSET"
programming. As one of the last automated chores, the system turns off the front and back porch lights,
dims the pendant lights and ARMS all zones. It then sends me a text message to confirm that the porch
light is now off. This serves two purposes, 1: if my wife and I are out beyond the final shut down point, I know
that I need to turn the porch light back on, 2: it acts as a daily test of the text messaging function.

Finally, to simplify testing as well as provide a demo of the house, I have a rule attached to one of the
rarely used windows. If I open this window, it will turn on the back porch light for 20 seconds and send me
a text message indicating that the action was taken. This makes for a pretty simple test.

I hope this helped.

Thanks to all for the feedback! The wife and I spent the weekends and days in-between working on security in general. My first order of business was the Elk of course. In general, I have taken the strategy that there are now at least 2 security points for every point of failure. For example, the ethernet expander now longer carries all the notification duties. I have integrated my Asterisk VOIP system with the elk such that upon trigger, Asterisk now dials three lines (2 at a time): the monitoring company, my wife's cell, and my cell. The fail-over is that the Ethernet expander sends emails as well. Now, in case of alarm, I get both a phone call and an email. :)

The second major improvement was that we installed 2 Axis 207MW (Megapixel wireless) cameras, one in the front of the house and the second in the rear. One really impressive thing is that I am in a wheelchair right now, so my wife did the drilling and mounting all on her own! For a woman with no mechanical inclination at all, that was a feat. These new cams are now monitored by ZoneMinder, an amazing DVR/Video surveillance system. I will report that the installation of ZoneMinder is the weakest point of the package. Getting it up and running on OpenSuse 11.1 took me two days and a lot of frustration. With that said, there is a "Live CD" distribution where you can drop a cd in a drive and boot up a working ZoneMinder in 5 minutes. I just chose to do it the hard way and use my existing server. Now that the system is up and running, the HD picture quality of the cameras along with the very robust feature set of ZoneMinder have helped my wife and I to really feel a lot more at ease. I have my front yard divided up into 8 separate zones (walkways, driveway, lawn, etc) with intelligent rules that are smart enough to ignore the swaying trees and bushes. As the zones are tripped and the rules fire, video clips are streamed to a secure location. If you are security geek with any interest in video, you have to check out this incredible open source product.

The third major area of improvement was that my wife worked on hanging curtains over some of our many windows still bare after moving into this house 2 years ago. This is a little thing, but now makes it a lot harder to peek in and see what is going on. We still have a list of items to work on, but I am confident that we are pretty darn ready in case an event like this ever happens again.

Once again, thanks to all for the great feedback, support, and ideas. :)

In general, I have taken the strategy that there are now at least 2 security points for every point of failure. For example, the ethernet expander now longer carries all the notification duties. I have integrated my Asterisk VOIP system with the elk such that upon trigger, Asterisk now dials three lines (2 at a time): the monitoring company, my wife's cell, and my cell. The fail-over is that the Ethernet expander sends emails as well. Now, in case of alarm, I get both a phone call and an email. :)
No offense intended (been there, done that myself), but it sounds like you still have a single point of failure on your broadband connection. Have you considered adding a cellular backup to the M1, such as the UpLink AnyNet or a Tellular?

@midian:
Glad you got your system back up. Would you mind posting some screencaps from the Axis 207MW? I would like to see what kind of quality picture they take. Thanks

I highly recommend a european working line german shepherd (NOT a show line dog, and NOT an american line dog), or a Belgian Malinois (secret service uses them exclusively now). Neither one are dogs for the first time dog owner, and if you've never trained a dog before expect to spend extra money to have him professionally trained (which will probably include training for you). If you're not doing protection work with him and just want the dog as a pet and deterrent, then adopt. But if you want a trained protection dog that is safe in normal life, then look for the two above. PM me if you're looking for a reputable breeder for either breed.

Again, if you're a first time dog owner, I do not recommend going this route. Many of these dogs end up in the pound, being put down, or going back to the breeder because they quickly become unmanageable if you don't do things right. My wife was a bit frightened by that, but now she wants to get another one.

I picked up my GSD about a year ago, and did a TON of research first. He's actually my 3rd GSD, and my second protection trained dog. Best dog I've ever had. He snuggles with my 1 year old, LOVES kids, and is super protective of the family. 90+ pounds and still slowly growing, and he looks scary as hell. :)

No offense intended (been there, done that myself), but it sounds like you still have a single point of failure on your broadband connection. Have you considered adding a cellular backup to the M1, such as the UpLink AnyNet or a Tellular?
Actually: Route 1: POTS Telephone lines, Rout 2: Broadband (cable). Even so, yes, I plan to add a cell backup as soon as I heal enough to do the wiring and installation.

TXFlatLander said:
Would you mind posting some screencaps from the Axis 207MW? I would like to see what kind of quality picture they take. Thanks
Sure, I will be happy to. However, I think it might help others if I post a whole new thread demoing the video surveillance system end-to-end. I will put this up this afternoon or this evening.

signal15 said:
I highly recommend a european working line german shepherd
Definitely a good idea. In fact, my wife and I have talked about this a lot. We will surely make this move as soon as it is practical.

Back