Elk M1 Gold Installation

gasbie

I'm about to install my elk m1 gold after spending months buy parts. I read the keypad installation manual but I'm confused. First this am trying to accomplish is to take some load of the M1 control its. So I will be running power from my altronix to the databus hub and the Data A and Data B on the M1 panel will be connected to the A and B of the data bus hub. Can I do that? If I can do this, does the positive wire (+12v power source) comes from the altronix and the negative comes from the M1 panel?

Second problem am facing: I home run cat 5 for all my keypads. I realized that the keypad comes with a jumper. The manual says " Ideal setup is 2 home run cables with daisy chained devices. The last device on each cable MUST have a terminating resistor installed (activated) via the 2 pin header/jumpers marked JP1 on M1KP2 Keypad" do i need to install the jumper if i home run the keypad wire?

gasbie said:
I'm about to install my elk m1 gold after spending months buy parts. I read the keypad installation manual but I'm confused. First this am trying to accomplish is to take some load of the M1 control its. So I will be running power from my altronix to the databus hub and the Data A and Data B on the M1 panel will be connected to the A and B of the data bus hub. Can I do that? If I can do this, does the positive wire (+12v power source) comes from the altronix and the negative comes from the M1 panel?

Second problem am facing: I home run cat 5 for all my keypads. I realized that the keypad comes with a jumper. The manual says " Ideal setup is 2 home run cables with daisy chained devices. The last device on each cable MUST have a terminating resistor installed (activated) via the 2 pin header/jumpers marked JP1 on M1KP2 Keypad" do i need to install the jumper if i home run the keypad wire?

If you want to power all devices that you plug into the M1DBH from the Altronix power supply, connect the red and black terminals on the M1DBH to the Altronix DC+ and DC- terminals (or P and N terminals if it has a power distribution board, like the PD8).

Also connect a wire between the Altronix DC- or N terminal and the M1's NEG terminal.  You can use the databus NEG terminal of VAUX NEG terminal. This wire will give the Altronix power and the Elk's power a common reference.

Then connect the databus Data A and Data B terminals to the M1DBH's Data A and Data B terminals.

The M1's data bus needs to have 2 terminators installed. When you use the M1DBH, you install one terminator on the DBH itself, in the first unused jack.

If you aren't connecting any other cables directly to the M1's databus, (i.e. all your devices connect through the M1DBH), then install the second terminator on JP3 on the M1 board.  No keypads should have a terminator installed in this configuration.

RAL said:
If you want to power all devices that you plug into the M1DBH from the Altronix power supply, connect the red and black terminals on the M1DBH to the Altronix DC+ and DC- terminals (or P and N terminals if it has a power distribution board, like the PD8).

Also connect a wire between the Altronix DC- or N terminal and the M1's NEG terminal.  You can use the databus NEG terminal of VAUX NEG terminal. This wire will give the Altronix power and the Elk's power a common reference.

Then connect the databus Data A and Data B terminals to the M1DBH's Data A and Data B terminals.

The M1's data bus needs to have 2 terminators installed. When you use the M1DBH, you install one terminator on the DBH itself, in the first unused jack.

If you aren't connecting any other cables directly to the M1's databus, (i.e. all your devices connect through the M1DBH), then install the second terminator on JP3 on the M1 board.  No keypads should have a terminator installed in this configuration.

Thanks RAL for this wonderful explanation. I really appreciate your effort. So, the little black jumper that came with the keypad should not be used, right? since one terminator is used at the hub and the second at the main panel JP3. 

gasbie said:
Thanks RAL for this wonderful explanation. I really appreciate your effort. So, the little black jumper that came with the keypad should not be used, right? since one terminator is used at the hub and the second at the main panel JP3. 

Right, you'll end up with more jumpers than you need since one comes with each keypad. Just install the one jumper plug in the M1DBH, and a jumper on JP3 on the M1, and nothing on the keypads.

A little tip you may already know....leave the little black jumper covering just one of the two pins in the pair. It won't be doing anything but it'll be there if you need it in the future.

Back