ELK M1 Gold, Light Switch, Motion Question

Hello,

Have a quick question for some of you automation Gods...

I have an ELK M1 Gold, controlling Smarthome Togglelinc switches throughout my home mostly via motion detectors. In the kitchen when you walk in, the light comes on, when there is no motion for 2 minutes the light goes off, pretty standard stuff.

But what I would like it to do is if I leave and turn the light off manually, to give a time delay before it will execute an ON signal to the light again as it picks me up with I leave.

Any ideas....

Thanks,

David
Automation Whatabe

I think something like this should work (not exact sytax, just from top of head). Assuming 30 secon delay.

' start a 30 second timer when light is turned off

WHENEVER Light is turned off
then TURN OUTPUT X on for 30 second, RESTART IF RUNNING

' turn on the light when motion is detected but only if the Output is off
' output is normally off except for the 30 seconds following you shutting them off in above rule

WHENEVER motion is detected AND OUTPUT X is OFF
then turn on light

Make sense?

Steve,

It make sense, but I have no idea on the syntax and stuff. Anything above simple stuff makes my brain melt.

Any idea on the syntax and where to setup the timer?

Sorry for the bother...

David

David,

First I would encourage you to read the Elk Installation manual. Focus on section 4.3 (Pages 51-57). This will show you how to use the Automation section of ElkRP. This is where you are going to create your rules. The nice thing is that you don't need to worry about syntax, as the rule is built for you with the right syntax based on your dropdown and menu selections. You basically click and choose and the rule comes out right. You start by going into rules and clicking New. Then WHENEVER and choose your parameters, then THEN and choose the rest. When you are done, voila, your rule is built with right syntax. When you are done it should look something like this:

'Whenever the light (Lighting256) is turned off then start a phantom timer (Output 208)

WHENEVER Lighting256(P16) IS TURNED OFF
THEN TURN Output 208 ON FOR 30 SECS, RESTART TIMER IF RUNNING

'If motion is detected (Zn64 not secure) AND the timer is not still running (Output 208 off) then turn the light on

WHENEVER (Zn64) BECOMES NOT SECURE
AND Output 208 STATE IS OFF
THEN TURN Lighting256(P16) ON

The lights, output and zone for motion was just random for the example, obviously use your real definitions - output can be any unused output. Once you get the basics of using RP, then you will be creating rules in no time. You can also have a look at some sample scenarios that may help stimulate some thought.

There is also a training DVD that may help you. There is one for the panel and one for ElkRP. If you bought the system from Automated Outlet, they can get you the physical media, or thanks to Toymaster, you can get it online here. Those should help you alot...

Steve,

Thank you very much for your help. I have read the manual from cover to cover, I just really did not understand timers in relation to outputs. You did a great job explaining, I don't know what I would without you guys.

I have installed the ElK, Mainlobby, intergrated A/V, touchscreens, whole home ethernet and phone with the help of the people on this site.

You guys are GREAT!!!

Thanks again....

David

David, I'm just curious what kind of motion sensors you are using and if they are wireless?

A couple weeks ago I was working on turning on lights when motion sensors are violated and was getting a bit of a delay. I haven't had much time to tinker with it lately.

Johnnynine,

I am using Honeywell Intellisense detectors form Automated Outlet, they work really great and will little to no delay. The only thing is they have no pet immunity. I have set up most so they don't look at the floor, but if one of the pets jumps up on the table in the kitchen or something it may from time to time bring the light on. There are only two sensors in the house they are true burgulary zones and they have 22lbd pet immunity so all is good there.

You should try on of these sensor and see if it fits your application, works great. If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

David

Johnnynine,
FYI: Wireless motion detectors normally have a time delay after motion is sensed before they will sense motion again. They delay 1 or 2 minutes generally. This is to conserve battery life.

Back