ELK M1 Gold Static Audio

wanted

Hi

Ive recently noticed increase in the background static on my M1 Gold audio when playing system messages etc.

Has anyone noticed this, My system is only using 2 x ELK SP12F flushmount speakers wired in parrallel. My system has been up for about 3 1/2yrs with no real troubles

If i power down the system it usually goes away but returns within a couple of hrs

I also tried connecting to a small 8ohm speaker but the background static sound worse due to the speaker being better quality than those currently installed.

Any ideas on possible cause / solution

Thanks Anthony

Hmm, I would suspect power at first glance. Will this system provide static if the transformer is unplugged and 'just' running on battery power?

I forgot to mention some other details - my panel was replaced along with the PSU about a year ago after a storm. The new panel was supplied with a 17v DC power pack as opposed to AC. I also installed a ELK 950 surge suppressor on the phone line and the dc output of the PSU.

I was told the new panels are now supplied with dc psu i think for energy requirements not sure. The sticker on the panel still indicates it requires 16VAC. Should i connect my old PSU it still works.

I just powered down the panel and the static is gone - im confident though it will return by the end of the day.

Anthony

First I've heard of a panel not being supplied with the listed transformer, all the M1's I've gotten come with the 16.5VAC transformer.

Energy requirements doesn't make any sense to me, as it still is requiring a rectifier to change the AC to DC, then step down the voltage, so I don't see how that is any different than a standard stepdown transformer.

Back