Elk M1 Gold & System Sensor w/ smokes & carbon monoxide

RAL said:
Did you connect the Power In terminals on the COSMOD4W to the SAUX power terminals on the M1?  The SAUX terminals are switched and will provide the reset to the smokes.  The VAUX power terminals do not provide a power reset.

Nope I have a motion sensor connected to the SAUX ATM but I'll switch that when I take all this stuff over to my new home and set it up for real (thanks for tip).  I found an alternative solution by pressing ELK then 2 then right arrow which appears to reset smokes too.  Thank you so much RAL for the assistance!  Sure glad I'm doing this "bench testing" before I begin to setup all this stuff in a couple of week.

The only thing left to study/learn is powering all my devices appropriately (Altronix, PDB's, ??? etc...)  I completely understand the M1XIN for zone purposes but powering all this devices and running the zone wires to the M1XIN and the power wires to the power supply is still perplexing to me but I've got a week to figure it out :)

RAL said:
Do you have the 3.9K EOL resistor wired in series with the EOL relay contact?  If you left that out, the relay would be creating a short on the signaling wires, which would send it into alarm condition.  And do you have two 2.2k EOL resistors wired to the COSMOD4W?

Wondering why you used zone type 12 rather than 10 for the smoke zone.
Hi guys -

I'm trying to do a very similar setup and am having the same problem.  See below for

RAL said:
Do you have the 3.9K EOL resistor wired in series with the EOL relay contact?  If you left that out, the relay would be creating a short on the signaling wires, which would send it into alarm condition.  And do you have two 2.2k EOL resistors wired to the COSMOD4W?

Wondering why you used zone type 12 rather than 10 for the smoke zone.

Hey RAL, ccmichaelson - I'm trying to do something similar but am having problems.  I'm trying to connect a System Sensor i4 (COSMOD2W) to an Elk M1 Gold.  I have zone 15 set up for C02 (Type 0, EOL Supervised) and zone 16 set up for smokes (Type 6, Fire 2-wire smoke) and the appropriate EOL resistors installed on the COSMOD2W, but both zones are showing trouble.  I spoke with the System Sensor people and everything seems to be functioning properly...I'm out of ideas.  See below for a wiring diagram.  Can you help?

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1061]

I think part of your problem is that you've configured the M1 as if it had a 2-wire smoke connected to the panel.  Although the COSMOD2W connects to 2-wire smokes, on the panel side it translates the smoke and CO alarm conditions to separate zones, and the smoke zone needs to be configured for 4-wire smokes.  

So change the zone type to 5 for zone 16.  And replace the 820 ohm EOL resistor with a 2.2k resistor.

Can't see the diagram, but the wiring is elementary.

The fire zone from the module gets wired as a typical 4 wire fire to the panel. CO gets wired similar.

You're going to need to get a meter out and see what the panel's seeing. My best guess for the trouble, if the module is correct and happy, is the panel EOLR's are wrong or jumper on the panel for Z16

With the M1, you will need 2 positive triggers and rules to fire the module correctly upon alarm.

DELInstallations said:
With the M1, you will need 2 positive triggers and rules to fire the module correctly upon alarm.

DEL,
I would be grateful if you could please explain the program rules you're referring to.  I'm running COSMO-2W smokes / CO through a COSMOD2W module to my Elk M1 Panel.  Initially I didn't think I had any rules setup for this, but looking closer I see I two that I'm guessing I added based on a post I saw here on Cocoontech.  Is this what you're referring to or do I need something else?  Thanks in advance for your help.  

Whenever Any Fire Alarm Cuts Off
Then Reset Smoke Power

and

Whenever Any Carbon Monoxide Alarm, Any Area Cuts Off
Then Reset Smoke Power

You don't need reset power. That is done via the normal FA reset on the M1. The rules you have aren't advisable in this case, or in general. If you have timeout on alarms, then it's going to drop power to the detection loop. FA and CO shouldn't have time limits on them, but I don't control your time specs on your system.

Assuming more than 1 detector, I would advise 2 outputs/relays to trigger the fire tandem ring and the CO tandem ring. Others have used the voltage triggers on the M1....I just never went this route and all my jobs had some sort of relay board installed.

Here's what I have as my boilerplate when using these. Not great, but it's what works with the M1 and a separate maintenance zone. I don't like driving a fire trouble or CO trouble as the signals are ambiguous when it comes to monitoring and trying to determine what's actually going on at the site. The only issue with the module is upon resetting the alarm, a CO trouble is generated (power loss). and the system doesn't ignore it while resetting.

The 300 second text can be modified or tweaked. The problem has to do with the reset method and the M1 not inhibiting zones upon a switchable power reset. I also set the maintenance as a 13-24H aux. Also due to how the 24H aux ZT works (no KP display but still reports. Bad choice by Elk IMO). If the system is monitored, no reason to latch the display.
(shortened because I'm lazy)

• Whenever any FA, turn FA trigger on
  • Whenever any CO, turn CO trigger on
  • Whenever FA zone becomes normal, turn FA trigger off
  • Whenever CO zone becomes normal, turn CO trigger off
  • Whenever MAINTENANCE becomes NOT SECURE/OPEN, display "SVC SMOKE DETECTS" for 300 secs, * clears

@crsystems...  Are you still having issues "showing trouble status" or have you moved past that issue and you're trying to setup various rules?  I can take screenshots of my ElkRP as well as my panel if it would help.

Back