Elk M1 help

Mike9090

Hi, I have an existing M1 working perfect for many years. Getting ready to close on the sale of my house and i'm having a few issues now(go figure). I have not touched the M1 in years. A black out a few weeks ago caused the clock to go to 00/00/00 12:00am. Now I have a new computer with Elkrp2 installed. I cant seem to figure out how to log in to the M1. I can see the M1xep. I'm trying to connect and upload the panel into the new Rp2 software so I can sync the time and date. I have tried it from the keypads with no luck. As soon as i enter a digit(s) and then move to the next field the first go back to 0. Any advice would be great, I also need to be able to log in to show the new buyers and change codes, etc..

Thank you in advance,

Mike

Are you sure RP2 was able to connect with the XEP? 

If you are running Windows 10 and have not updated the XEP firmware to the latest level, that's probably a part of your problem.

One thing you could try is connecting to the M1 through the serial port, rather than through the XEP.

Thanks RAL. I was hoping I was just missing something. Only have a couple of days to deal with this. Having surgery next week and heading to my other house for a few weeks to recoup. I guess i'm going to need a usb to serial adapter to connect directly to it. Oh I forgot, I do have the last laptop that I used to connect to the M1, I cant connect with that one either. same issue as with this computer. If I search for an xep, it finds it. But after that I cant still cant connect to the panel. Thanks for the help

If RP2 can find the XEP, but is unable to connect, that is a pretty good indication that you're running into a problem with backlevel firmware.

Over the last few years, security issues with SSL protocol caused browsers to abandon it in favor of TLS.   The older level XEP firmware supported SSL, but not TLS. 

You may need a PC running windows XP or a backlevel version of Windows 7 to be able to update the XEP firmware.  However, Elk has a special Updater utility that can install the update using a newer PC, if the XEP firmware is in a certain range.

More info here.

If your core issue is the wrong/stuck clock, I recall some sort of an issue that may have been similar.  I think the problem was a frozen clock chip.  The solution was to slip a piece of paper under the arm that holds the coin battery in.  I believe the M1 should be off or maybe even depowered when you do this, such that it reboots the clock chip.

Ok, dug up my old computer and launched RP. When I try to connect via this machine I get the message "Could not initialize secure connection". Any hints on this issue. I hope im getting closer, only a few days until surgery, I would loved to have this resolved before then.

Back