ELK M1 Initial install help

Theothrknd

I currently have three ELK M1 systems in operation and installed them personally. I am installing an M1 at a friends home and have ran into a situation. After wiring the keypads, siren, speaker, and XEP, I powered up the system. I attempted to enroll the bus modules and one keypad and the wireless unit enrolled. The second keypad only has illumination of the “ELK” button and is not communicating with the M1. The enrolled keypad is telling me Zone 16 is violated. I need to enroll the second keypad and get past this Zone 16 issue. I checked the wiring from everything as I wasn’t the person who did that and found it to be accurate. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for advice you could provide.

Did you change the address of the second keypad?

Is zone 16 wired up to anything?

Is the jumper JP1 on the Elk (right below zone 16) set to "normal" or is it on "2 wire" smokes?

My guess would be that it is on "2 wire" with a mismatch with the zone 16 zone definition.

Thanks for the help. The jumper is not set to fire, it’s still in the default “normal” position, I have never asssigned zone 16, have not changed the address of any keypad, and have yet to connect RP as I was hoping enroll the bus modules first. Should I connect RP and ad the second keypad there? I don’t recall needing to do that in my other locations but it’s been a few years. Is there a reset to factory for the M1? Maybe I simply need to start over with the initial setup?
Thanks in advance for your hep.

You must manually change the address of the additional keypads through the keypad itself.  After you change the address, then you can enroll it.

I can't say if the keypad address conflict is the cause of your zone 16 violation, but I guess anything is possible.   It might be a false message due to the keypad address conflict on the bus.

You can do a full factory reset of the panel from keypad menu 07,  global G45.   Enter 99 to reset everything.

Back