Elk M1: Rule based on multiple arm states?

dscline

Tried this in the marketplace with no hits, so I thought I'd try here...

I have certain events that I want to to trigger certain actions in all arm modes EXCEPT night mode. The easiest way to do with would be with an "OR", or an "AND NOT", neither of which is available. But it DOES let me pick multiple arm states. In other words, it will let me write:

AND Armed Away mode
AND Armed Stay mode
AND Armed Vacation mode

Clearly, you can't be armed in different states at the same time, but I thought it wasn't supposed to allow "incorrect" rules. So does it actually work like an "OR" in this situation? Or does it actually accept conflicting rules? If the above is NOT a valid way to do this, then I'm assuming my only options are either duplicating the rule for each arm mode, or setting an output to use as a variable?

Thanks!

Your example is not a valid set of instructions and you are correct, it will never execute, although RP will allow you to write it. IMHO, there is no way to make RP smart enough to prevent ALL invalid rules, so why bother. I would suggest using an output to indicate when the system is armed the way you desire.

WayneW said:
I would suggest using an output to indicate when the system is armed the way you desire.
Thanks, that's what I expected I would have to do (that, or duplicating the rule for each arm state), but wanted to get confirmation before I went the long way around. Didn't feel real good about testing with what appeared to be an illogical rule without asking first.

Thanks again!

You can write conflicting Rules that will not work right.

We have not installed the "Dumb Rule Checking" module yet. Sometimes I need it for myself however!!

WayneW said:
I would suggest using an output to indicate when the system is armed the way you desire.
I faced the same problem whenstarting the setup of my M1, so I followed exactly the same approach. My first few rules would set some outputs on/off depending of the arming state, so in other rules I can launch rules for the combination of arming states that I wanted. Per instance, I want some rules to trigger an all states but while on Vacations mode.

Back