Elk M1, rule to speak garage door is open/closed

BassTeQ

Hi all,

I have the garage door hooked up to one of the outputs on the panel via a relay. In the output setup I have set a voice description for that output,
Garage Door is [say closed/open]

But I cant work out how to build a rule to make this work. If I build a rule to run when Garage Door output is trigered, it will only announce "Garage door is" it wont say open or closed.
Any ideas?

Thanks

Since the garage door opener (the output) is a toggle, then it is independent of open/close status and thus by itself can not report the status of the door, except perhaps that it is moving.

Whenever output garage door is turned on
Then speak "the garage door is moving"

You need to have the garage door monitored on a zone like any other door or window. Then you could pick what you want to trigger the voice message. For example, whenever the zone becomes secure then it could say "the door is closed". Or you could have something fancier like

Whenever output garage door opener is turned on
and the zone garage door is not secure
Then speak "the garage door is closing"

Followed by

Whenever zone garage door becomes secure
Then speak "the garage door is closed"

And

Whenever zone garage door becomes not secure
Then speak "the garage door is opening"

Thanks Lou, that makes perfect sense, I didnt put 2 and 2 together to realise thast because it was a toggle it wont report the state correctly.
I have a seperate zone for the door, so I'll use the examples you provided to build some new rules.

Thanks again!

Back