Elk M1 Siren Volume

jbauer

Hey guys,

I searched to forum and could not find the answer to this. Forgive me if it is a repeat question.

I am using ElkRP to program my Elk. I want to turn the burgler alarm siren down to its lowest volume.

In ElkRP I go to Globals, click on the tab called "Output 1". From here I can set the Output 1 Volumes. Here is what I have tried:

Output 1 volume upon initial alarm: 1
Output 1 maximun volume siren alarm: 1
Output 1 maximum volume voice alarm: 3
Output 1 maximum volume non-alarm voice: 3

I can tell that the voice is quiet now, but the siren is still ear piercing loud. I tried changing the sired to "Industrial Buzzer" which is better, but still way too loud. If I can not turn it down any lower, then can I just disable the siren output? I do not want siren and voice on the same speaker.

- jason

I have set all of my volumes to 0 and the siren is still full blast. The voice is nice and quiet, almost inaudible, but the siren is really loud.

I have firmware 4.4.4. Is it possible that I can not turn the siren volume down?

- jason

I updated to firmware 4.4.6 and I can still not turn down the siren.

Hey Elk, can I have voice and not siren? I don't want siren, only voice. Can I run siren and voice on seperate wires?

- jason

Volume set to 0 should be very low. You must have a very efficient speaker or running through an amplifier. Normally the siren will run louder than the voice.

You can write some Rules to bypass the siren.

Set the Alarm cutoff time to 1 second. ( you may get a short siren burp)

Write Rules:

Whenever burglar alarm activates
Turn on Output 100 for 10 minutes (10 minutes is the cutoff time, using an unused output)

Whenever every 5 seconds ( you may need to adjust the time for the lengh of the voice message)
And Output 100 is turned ON
Then speak Burglary Message 1 (VM300) (Look in ELKRP Voices to find the message number and to customize the messages)

Whenever Area 1 ARM STATE BECOMES DISARMED
Then TURN OFF Output 100 (This stops the voice if the cutoff time has not ran out)

Are you using your alarm in a non-typical setup (demo packag, etc.)?

If you are usnig it in a normal setup you will want to make the stay of the burglars inside to house as unconfortable as possible. A few sirens inside the house running at over 120dB will incentivate them to leave soon. :)

Hey Spanky,

No amplifier, just using the stock Elk Echo speaker. Volume of 0 is not low. In fact volume of 0 through 7 makes no difference. I think there is something wrong because I can not turn the volume down. I am definitly sending the changes to the system, I can click "Send" and I can click "Receive All" and see that the siren volume is set to 0.

Is there really no way to get voice and siren on seperate outputs?

- jason

I called tech support today and they had me reset my EEPROM and send all of my settings again.

Still, at a volume of 0 with the stock Elk speaker and no amplifier the alarm makes the cats climb the walls. It is REALLY loud at 0. Can I turn the siren down more?

- jason

Hey Spanky,

I tried what you said and it works good. I will use that solution for sure.

I would still like to know if I can turn the siren down lower than 0.

-jason

If the volume control is not reducing the volume on OUTPUT1, (not OUTPUT2) then there must be a hardware problem. Normally level 0 setting will be very low volume.

jbauer said:
I have set all of my volumes to 0 and the siren is still full blast. The voice is nice and quiet, almost inaudible, but the siren is really loud.

I have firmware 4.4.4. Is it possible that I can not turn the siren volume down?

- jason
As I understand it, you can only adjust the volume of the speakers (usually inside) attached to output #1, not the siren output #2

Spanky said:
If the volume control is not reducing the volume on OUTPUT1, (not OUTPUT2) then there must be a hardware problem. Normally level 0 setting will be very low volume.
Setting 0 is not quiet, it is loud enough to make the cats eyes bulge and tear carpet getting out of the room.

- jason

carry15+1 said:
As I understand it, you can only adjust the volume of the speakers (usually inside) attached to output #1, not the siren output #2
I am referring to the siren that comes out the same speaker as voice. I want voice and no siren.

- jason

Back