Elk M1 - Using TWA (Listen-In Interface) with RB (Relay Board)

SteveInNorCal

Hello, all. Can the TWA Listen-In Interface Board be used in conjunction with the RB Relay Board?

Both depend on the programmable outputs on M1G J16. Because I can't connect the TWA and RB simultaneously to the M1G board, I believe I have to connect M1G J16 to TWA J4 and then daisy-chain from TWA J3 to RB J1 (see schematics below). This should leave me with 6 outputs (11 - 16) flowing through the TWA to control six of the eight the RB relays. Is my understanding correct?

The M1G instructions provide the following (abridged and edited):
The M1G activates outputs 7, 8, or 9 (or all three) thru the 12 conductor cable in order to select mic zones 1, 2, or 3 respectively on the M1TWA. Output 10 is also turned on while listen-in is active to collectively mute all speaker zones. The RED and Black wires (+12V & Neg) wires are the primary power for the M1TWA. When the M1TWA is connected to the M1G J16, Control Outputs 7, 8, 9, and 10 automatically become assigned for triggering and muting the Microphone and speaker zones as necessary during operation. Basically, when an M1TWA is connected these 4 Outputs CANNOT BE USED for any other purpose.

Will the M1G automatically activate 7-10 for the TWA? Do I use the system programming to address 11-16 for the relays?

Any assistance would be much appreciated here. Thanks.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:719]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:718]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:720]

Option 31 in globals takes care of this.

Outputs 11-13 should be reserved to allow override capabilities on the speaker zones.

So now, you've effectively eaten almost all the outputs available for a RB, so I'd look at a different peripheral unless you're OK with spending the cash for just a couple of outputs.

Thanks, Del. "Another peripheral" -- such as? It doesn't look like the M1-TWI helps much. I could use Out 1 for the 3 interior speakers in series/parallel config, but then I still lose Outputs 7-9 to interface to the TWI. I'm stumped here. Right now I only need output contacts for the (future) screamers, but I want to design for possible future uses of the outputs. I don't want the design to be constrained on outputs.

How would I configure the system to get inputs from the microphones (TWA or TWI), yet preserve all outputs?

I think what DEL means is that you should be considering adding an M1XOVR when you need additional outputs, since you're going to use most of what you have on the M1 to control the TWA.

For the few outputs that you have left on the M1 after connecting the TWA, you could use standalone relays like the 924, rather than wasting an entire RB.

RAL said:
I think what DEL means is that you should be considering adding an M1XOVR when you need additional outputs, since you're going to use most of what you have on the M1 to control the TWA.

For the few outputs that you have left on the M1 after connecting the TWA, you could use standalone relays like the 924, rather than wasting an entire RB.

Thanks, RAL. So I'd attach the M1XOVR to the data bus to create the additional 8 relay outputs and then attach the TWA Listen-In interface to the J16 connector on the M1G main board? This avoids the need for the RB Relay Board.

SteveInNorCal said:
Thanks, RAL. So I'd attach the M1XOVR to the data bus to create the additional 8 relay outputs and then attach the TWA Listen-In interface to the J16 connector on the M1G main board? This avoids the need for the RB Relay Board.

Yes, you've got it right.

The OVR has 8 voltage outputs and 8 relay outputs.  If you ever need additional relay outputs, you can then connect a RB relay board to the OVR to convert its 8 voltage outputs to relay outputs.

I would negate the screamers...you have no way to turn them off via rules which would render the TWA useless. The purpose of TWA is to verify an alarm condition is valid and listen/talk to occupants.

As I've said elsewhere, I fail to see the attraction of them in general.

Back