Elk M1 vs Honeywell Lynx 7000

rich53118

Hello,

I currently have an elk M1 Gold installed with:
- Several wired PIRs and a few Glass break sensors. No door or window contacts
- Zwave interface, network interface, 2 KP2's 1 KPAS

I was about to add a wireless module and add wireless sensors for some of the doors and windows. I was leaning towards the Honeywell direction but noticed that there are some really good deals on 7000 packages with several wireless sensors. The control panel on the 7000 seems much nicer, so the question is does it make sense to expand the elk with a wireless adaptor for honeywell or make a switch to the newer technology go the  honeywell control system? 

The Lynx 7000 supports just 1 wired zone.  So you'll have to get rid of all but one of your wired sensors and replace with wireless.  Also, the Lynx is much more limited than the Elk in terms of the number of rules it supports for automation.  I guess I'd say that if the keypad is your overriding priority in choosing a system, then the Lynx might be the way to go.  Otherwise, I'd stick with the Elk.

The other thing I don't care for is that the keypad *is* the control.  If it is located near an entry door (as most are) and someone enters your house and smashes it off the wall, your system is dead.  I much prefer having the Elk in a can in the basement or the back of a closet where it is more difficult to locate and damage.

You're comparing apples to bacon. Two different items, options and abilities. The Lynx is an entry level mass market panel.

The M1, outside of memory limitations, is flash updatable. The HW hardware is not.

Back