Elk M1 & W800RF, what a great combo!

Ok, it seems like I may have been sending it too fast. If I send the signal at a reasonable rate with the DS10A (at least 1 sec between tests), it works fine, but If I send it too quickly, the M1 almost seems to get confused and won't retrigger until I give it a rest (1 sec). The Hawkeye motion doesn't appear to do this though. It triggers no matter how fast I activate it. I am not planning on using either of these devices as security sensors anyway. They will be used more for sensing contact closure of non-intrusion detection devices like dryer, washer, mailbox, etc.. :D

thanks,

Joe

EDIT: I saw your response after I posted. Here is the rule I am using. Let me know if you see anything wrong with it.

ds10A_rule.jpg

Joe

A couple clarification questions please:

1) Does the "through port #" represent the rs-485 address of the XSP unit? How are the serial ports numbered? For example I have 3 XSP modules, so does that make them ports 1,2,3 (since port 0 in the onboard serial port) and if so, which one would be first?

2) Can someone show me an example rule for a hawkeye motion detector? Do you still use the ACSII string using the 3rd and first bytes, or is it setup another way? I'm trying to use a HR12A palmpad.

The W800 is working since I can run the decoder and see the hex codes. I can also see the XSP led blink fast when I press a button on my palmpad but I can't seem to trigger a rule yet.

Thoughts?

When you set up the XSP, you assign it an ID with the jumpers, that's the ID you use. As for the Hawkeyes, just treat them as regular X10 modules, no special setup is needed, i.e.: Whenever D4 turns on ... (D4 being the motion sensor). The Hex decoding is only needed when processing DS10A's.

Thanks for the help electron but I must be a rookie - I'm still not seeing something. I have done a ton of programming yet so maybe I'm missing some of the syntax.

I'm not using the PSC05 for X10. Just the W800 - does that make a difference? Can I use my palmpad with just the W800, XSP and M1?

I can't see how to put together a rule that says:

WHENEVER D4 turns on...
THEN...

Do I need to define a task first? I've breezed through the M1 Newsletter examples also and can't seem to find an example. Anything to offer would be appreciated.

--------------------------

Edit: Nevermind -I figured it out.

Yes you can use just the W800.

And example rule would be:

WHENEVER Lighting 17 (B1) IS TURNED ON
THEN...

Thanks everyone!

Yep that's it, sorry for the confusion. I will see if I can post some screenshots anyways, to help out anyone else who might run into this. Works great, doesn't it ?

It's working awesome!

Slowly it comes together. I appreciate having all this time at Christmas to get through some of my ToDo list.

Next Up:

Elk TwoWay Interface

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I am playing around with some different methods of making the How-To's easier to follow.

When I plug my w800RF into my Elk M1, and try to dim the lights using a palm pad, The lights won't stop dimming until they are off. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Ok...so what about the MS10A. Has anyone tried using these with w800 and elk. I ask because the MS10A sends an on when motion is detected and sends an off after 45 seconds sends an off or something like that.

I have had to create virtual devices in HS so that I can manage the time function etc etc. For eg. if no motion is detected for 3 minutes then turn the lights off.

So if some is using these then please let me know how and what are the rules being used.

Thanks & Regards,

hgupta1:
What kind of device are you trying to control (switch, module, insteon, upb, ...)?

noshali:
I use cheap x10 motion sensors to do exactly what you are talking about. In fact, there is another thread here somewhere showing some rules how to do occupancy sensing, I will see if I can find it later (have to run).

hqutpa1,
If you are sending more than about 6 dims, the lights will go off. Maybe reduce the number of dims.

I guess I missed something...

How do I adjust the number of dims in the M1G? I haven't seen any options in the ELK RP program.

Back