Elk M1DBH

stacyh3

I've searched the forums a bit and haven't found an answer to my problem. I'm trying to install an M1XIN and an M1OVR onto my system via a data bus hub - M1DBH. I use the ElkRP software - tried this from the KP as well - to enroll the devices, but they don't show up in the device list. The keypad - and M1KP2 does show up. What are some things I should look for to troubleshoot this?

I double checked ths cat5 wiring.
The status lights on the M1XIN and the M1OVR are blinking 3 blinks - pause - 3 blinks...
The terminating resistor is in place on the M1DBH.
JP3 is shorted on the main board.

Frustrated and confused... I would appreciate any tips.

Thanks,
Stacy

yeah, I think so. I haven't read that part of the manual in a while.

Use a multimeter to check the resistance across the A/B terminals on the bus on the M1. I believe it should read somewhere around 70-80Ohms. Less than that or more than that means there's either too many or too few jumpers.

Also, look up the #of blinks in the manual - I'm running out to get lunch for the kids right now, but I thought 5 blinks was "all ok". Then again, I'm really not sure.

yeah, I think so. I haven't read that part of the manual in a while.

Use a multimeter to check the resistance across the A/B terminals on the bus on the M1. I believe it should read somewhere around 70-80Ohms. Less than that or more than that means there's either too many or too few jumpers.

Also, look up the #of blinks in the manual - I'm running out to get lunch for the kids right now, but I thought 5 blinks was "all ok". Then again, I'm really not sure.

Okay, this is odd. I moved the modules around in the M1DBH so that the keypad was in the LAST slot before the terminating resistor and the system discovered the other two modules. This made me think that the KP2 had a terminating resistor installed. I popped it off the wall, but it DOES NOT have the jumper installed for the terminating resistor. It seems that they system will work now, but I'm still wondering why this happened and is this a symptom of some other problem?

Thanks,
Stacy

I think it takes the m1xin a minute to wake up. I first noticed when I could get mine to work on the second try but not the first.

With the M1 power off, what is the resistance across the A & B lines on the RS-485 terminals? Make sure you have only two terminating resistors installed, one at the extreme ends of the data bus run.

When wiring the data bus runs to the various devices that plug into the M1DBH, are you wiring it so that the A & B line goes to the device and A & B returns on another set of wires back to the M1DBH. It sounds like after you changed the plugs that the last device was not returning the A & B data to the M1DBH.

The M1XIN is alive after about 2 seconds after power up, but it does not update its zone information until a zone input changes or every minute.

With the M1 power off, what is the resistance across the A & B lines on the RS-485 terminals? Make sure you have only two terminating resistors installed, one at the extreme ends of the data bus run.

When wiring the data bus runs to the various devices that plug into the M1DBH, are you wiring it so that the A & B line goes to the device and A & B returns on another set of wires back to the M1DBH. It sounds like after you changed the plugs that the last device was not returning the A & B data to the M1DBH.

The M1XIN is alive after about 2 seconds after power up, but it does not update its zone information until a zone input changes or every minute.

I'll measure the resistance when I get home. I'll also double check the keypad wiring.

I guess what you're saying about the A&B data makes sense, but the confusing part is that once I put the keypad last on the data bus, all of the devices - including the keypad - are enrolled and working.

It would probably add to the expense, but it's too bad we can't wire both ends of the cat5 as rj45 and just plug that into the keypad(s). I have volume controls from HTD.COM in my house that work that way. It was easy for a hardware novice like me to test the cable. But like so many things, it's probably only hard if you don't know what you're doing. :D

Thanks much!
Stacy

The alternate data bus hub, M1DBHR, allows for wiring each leg independently without returning the data path.

Interesting that you posted this problem now. I am having a very, very similair issue with my DBH. I cannot seem to get all of my devices enrolled when using all 9 ports. When I remove a device from port 9, all is well, but as soon as I try to use it or patch another DBH from it a few devices are lost.

Is J9 not useable for adding single devices? I swapped out the XSP I was trying to enroll on J9 for another device, and it enrolled fine. Yes, I have terminated the the XSP on J9. No, no other devices are terminated.

I have 2 KP2s on the DBH, so I will try and see if putting them last fixes the issue, but I still am not able to use a second DBH. Any ideas?

Back