Elk M1G and Garage Door question

dwalder

Guys, I have an Elk M1G hooked up...I have already installed a magnetic sensor on the garage door so I can sense when the door is open or closed. I have also programmed one of the keypad's "F" keys to show if the door is currently opened or closed.

Now here is the question: I would like to program the system so when I push the corresponding "F" key the system can close or open the door.

I have already run a wire from the elk to where the "doorbell" type pusher goes. However, the "doorbell" push button is illuminated showing about 3.8V DC (as tested with a multi meter). Can I simply hook the single pair wire to an elk output? If so, will the voltage on the wire "hurt" or damage the system in any way. When this is finally connected I would assume that I could write a rule that states "When F key is pushed turn output X on for 1 second"?

Thanks for your help,

Dave

Hi Dave,

As long as you use a relay on the Elk output, the Elk will be isolated from any voltage on the wires. You can use either an ELK-M1RB to provide 8 relays or an ELK-912 to provide a single relay.

Paul

Paul, Or others....how about output#3 on the M1G board...would this be considered a relay? Also how about the outputs? Or are the outputs designed to power an actual device therefore causing something to "blow" when using either output 3 or others?

Thanks again,

Dave

I think I may have answered my own question....According to the Elk Manual....Output 3 is a "Dry contact relay" and is rated for "4A @ 12-24 VDC"....According to what I know...this should handle what I need for right now.

Could anyone give me the thumbs up before I do something stupid?

Thanks.

Dave

You can use the spare relay output on the M1G, if you are not using it for something else.

You can't use one of the plain outputs because they are not isolated. You can add
a small relay module(ELK 912B) that you can attach to any of the outputs and it will
provide relay isolation.

On the garage door control buttons the open(close) button usually just shorts out
the 2 wires that are connected to the switch. This can be hooked to the NO
contacts of your relay. Set the programming to close the relay for 1 second.
You can program the button to flash when the door is open. I use F5 for one
garage door and F6 for the other.

If you can't get to the garage door switch easily, you can use the X10
contact module and send a X10 command to open and close the door.
Connect the X10 module across the push button terminals, or where they
connect to the door opener. There is a Duplex AC outlet just above the door
opener this is where you can plug in the X10 contact module.

I have this setup and it works perfectly.

Cliff s

Cliff S, Thank you for the quick reply....I have already ran the single pair wire from the garage door opener (mounted on the celing) to the Elk as they are only about 15 feet apart. All I need to do is connect it to the Elk now.

Thanks for your help

If you will ever hook up additional items like irrigation valves, etc, the M1RB or M1OVR is very nice to have. It is much easier and neater than using a bunch of separate 912's. My GDO is on an M1RB since I filled Outputs 1-3 very quickly with speaker, siren and strobe.

Back