ELK M1G and X10

SkyBolt

Does the M1 use it's x10 interface bydefault or does it need to be set up?

I have a new panel and I am trying to setup the X10.
I used the default light A1 and plugged in a PSC05 in and set 2-way jumper.
I have an appliance mod set to A1 and plugged in.
HomeSeer can turn the mod on and off. The psc05 is plugged in next to the App Mod.
The PSC05 is in working order as I tested it with an AB8SS. Any help would be welcome.

Thanks,
Skybolt

Some things to check...

The PSC05 has a red LED that blinks when X-10 commands are sent and received. Watch for activity when a command is being (supposed to be) sent.

Does the M1 correctly register Homeseer changes in A1? In other words, are X-10 commands being recognized by the PSC05 and sent into the M1.

Are you using the X-10 supplied hookup cable? It needs to be crossover or non-crossover for the Elk, I don't remember. Only one of these will work; the other does not.

Some things to check...

The PSC05 has a red LED that blinks when X-10 commands are sent and received. Watch for activity when a command is being (supposed to be) sent.

Does the M1 correctly register Homeseer changes in A1? In other words, are X-10 commands being recognized by the PSC05 and sent into the M1.

Are you using the X-10 supplied hookup cable? It needs to be crossover or non-crossover for the Elk, I don't remember. Only one of these will work; the other does not.

The red led only blinks when HS sends a command and not the M1. I have the ethernet hooked up and a rule for the key pad to beep for an on and shuts off for the off of the A1 device. The lighting web page of the M1 thinks it turned the light on and the rule is activated and the key pad beeps but the module will not turn on, only from HS.

Yes it is the original cable, I tested the PSC05 controlling another device, so it should at least recieve X10 commands. as that was tested and confirmed. Maybe it needs a cross over cable which is not the stock cable as you mentioned, but that makes no sense.
I am very confussed as to how the X10 works withthe ELk, theres no documentation any where that I can find.

Thanks,
Skybolt

I am very confussed as to how the X10 works withthe ELk, theres no documentation any where that I can find.

In my installation Manual (L520 Rev. I 5/07) there is a sketch on page 7.
About all connections, not only the Lightning Interface.
More is really not necessary.
Because the ELK knows how to handle the X10-Modules via the PSC05.

Only put the jumper#2 to 2way (as you did)
and connect the PSC05 (or TW523) with the ELK.

But the right way!

This was the error happenend to me:
Yes, I used a standard 4 conductor telefone cable ...
but the connectors on the ends where not showing in the same direction.
And so the conductors of the connection were twisted ... and nothing works.
After turning/changing one Bell/Western-cube, all worked.

IMHO the best testing is with the ELK-RP-Programm.
In this programm the X10-controll is under "Automation" and not via "Outputs" but via "Lightning".
Here you had to enter all properties of the X10-Modules.

How is the light configured in RP - Standard, Extended or Preset Dim?

Steve - The light is setup as Standard.

And don't I feel stupid. Just for the hell of it, I tried a standard 4 wire phone cable - and everything worked like a charm. Not to sure why it works with the ab8ss speaker switch though, as the new phone cable also works fine. Probably an intermittent 3 or 4 pin. Anyway thans for the responses. I attached the pinpit for the PSC05 if anyone may need it.

Thanks,
Skybolt

Attachments

• psc05.pdf
    94.7 KB · Views: 46
50% of the time the problem is the telephone style cable that connects from the M1 to the PSC05. There are two ways to make the cable. One of the two ways does not work. Check the M1 instruction manual which explains how the cable must be made.

... Check the M1 instruction manual which explains how the cable must be made.

Yep, it's on pg7 as murphy pointed out, but that's the only spot mentioned that I could find. And yep my AB8SS had pins 3 & 4 reversed. I thought the PSC05 was always a standard straight pass through. Oh well live and learn again and again and...

Thanks,
-Skybolt

Back