ELK M1G integrating with Insteon

I 'misremembered' (not a word but you know what it means!) that one. Sorry for the confusion. Now that I think of it I should have thought that through more, if the firmware can be corrupted, that would be a major issue.

Mike said:
Sorry for the confusion...
More like : sorry for the scare! :D

Joking aside, yes that would be a major issue. Its also not etirely impossible if the firmware resides in flash memory, like so many things do nowadays.

I talked with Elk support; they felt the problem is with the 2414S.
So, they gave me the site to download the SALad Downloader Program, so I could re-install it.

The program comes up, but it says it can not communicate with PLC over Port.

I have been trying to call Smarthome, but have not been able to get through. They are supposed to call me back sometime....

Anyone have to re-install this?

When the 2414S is plugged in, it is a solid light. I understood that if it blinked that meant the coreapp was corrupted. I am guessing mine is corrupted, but I still can not communicate with it.

Any help would be so appreciated!

Thanks

A corrupted coreapp usually shows up as a LED that blinks on and off regularly at a 1 second rate. Very fast blinking but with the LED appearing be essentially on can indicate lots of powerline activity...or noise.

You might try this if you really need to reprogram it now:

You could download the trial version of Homeseer, THEN update that via the HS message board to beta version 2.1.38. THEN, you could download the Insteon plugin and use that to reprogram the PLC including SALad.

It was easy for me, as I'm a HS user. It works great with the Elk, too, so there's always a chance you'll get hooked.

If you decide to do this, just go to the downloads section of www.homeseer.com.

For the board, go to board.homeseer.com, and look for the 2.1 beta forum and the Insteon forum.

Madcodger brings up a GREAT point......

What is the best way to update or make sure your running the latest firmware in your Insteon Powerlinc 2414S module?

I bought the module to interface Insteon to my Elk. I hadn't planned to buy any other Smarthome software, or other HA sofware such as Homeseer. That being said, I guess I am stuck with whatever firmware my 2414S came with?

Ideas?????..... comments????

Thanks

Madcodger,

I really like your idea and am very intrigued with Homeseer, I was unfamiliar with it.
However, I have tried installing it on three computers and all of them are having different issues with Net framework settings. After going to Homeseer's helpdesk, I did see that this was an issue. I followed their directions to uninstall, and then reinstall the Net framework files. Nothings has really helped.

I still can not even open Homeseer on any of my computers. I would love to be able to do it, not only to resolve the Insteon issue, but to "checkout" Homeseer.

Has anyone run into this issue with Homeseer?

I wrote to soon.

I have been trying it since yesterday, but never got it to work.
Today I just updated to Net framework 2.0.
That did it.

Now Homeseer is installed. I am sorry to be so slow at this, but I can not find the Insteon 2114S. I updated the Insteon plug-in and all went well with that.

It says its unable to communicate with Insteon interface.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

First, .net 2.0 is required to run HS 2.1.xx. This new version (which is actually still in beta, but MUCH more stable than the 2.0.xx versions, at least for me) requires it.

As for finding the 2414S, I would first try a different serial port if possible. I had to move mine once, as I have 4 serial ports and it just didn't like one of them. Also, be careful about using serial to USB converters. I've had bad results with those in general although some have them working fine.

If neither of those things help, I would go to the Insteon forum on the HS board and ask the developer, Jon, for help. He seems to be able to resolve just about anything.

Good luck!

Wow, this has been a long ordeal!

I spent about an hour and a half last week speaking with an Elk tech about my Insteon. He was very helpful and walked me through everything.
Through him, we discovered that the 2414S was only communicating one way. We were watching it through hyper-terminal and could see the signals from a light switch coming in. It could not, however send any.
So, I talk with Smarthome techs and they said it must be a bad 2414S.
I just got the new one in the mail today, hooked it up and everything worked perfectly the first time.
Now we know…

Thanks for all the help!

Back