Elk M1G/ M1XEP connection problems

bola09

I have Elk M1G which is connected to M1XEP. My router is Zywall 35, which is a capable SB router.

The problem is that M1XEP connection is sporadic. When connected, it last a few seconds, leaving no time for any meaningful configuration to be done through ELKRP. I did noticed that when all the systems are power cycled (router, Elk M1, M1XEP), it will stay connected for several minutes to up to several powers. Invariably though, it revert back to the spotty connection described above.

So, far, I have:

(i) replaced the M1XEP
(ii) replaced router
(iii) replaced ELK M1G with a loaner from ELK
(iv) allocated static IP address to M1XEP using the MAC address

Still, the problems remain. I should add that there are about twenty computers in the office and, none of them is experiencing any DHCP problems.

Thanks for your help.

Kola

I have Elk M1G which is connected to M1XEP. My router is Zywall 35, which is a capable SB router.

The problem is that M1XEP connection is sporadic. When connected, it last a few seconds, leaving no time for any meaningful configuration to be done through ELKRP. I did noticed that when all the systems are power cycled (router, Elk M1, M1XEP), it will stay connected for several minutes to up to several powers. Invariably though, it revert back to the spotty connection described above.

So, far, I have:

(i) replaced the M1XEP
(ii) replaced router

Still, the problems remain. I should add that there are about twenty computers in the office and, none of them is experiencing any DHCP problems.

Thanks for your help.

Kola

Of course, step #1 is to ensure that your M1XEP has the latest firmware.

From there, the best way to diagnose your problem would be to use a packet sniffer like "Wireshark". I have personally always used the Linux version. However, I am please to see there are Windows versions too:

http://www.wireshark.org/download.html

If the Windows version does not work for some reason, you can always download the "Live CD" of Ubuntu and run that from the CDROM drive too. Once you have Wireshark up, it can capture the packets moving between your machines. Based on what you have explained, I am guessing you will see out-of-order, retransmits, and packet failures. Most likely, the cause is a mistake in your routing configuration. Alternatively, the problem could be a bad piece of hardware or a bad driver. It only takes one bad machine to overload your switch/router.

By the way, "DHCP" is a protocol that helps machines connect to your network. DHCP does not really tell you anything is working correctly or not. However, this does bring up a good point. I am not sure how versed your are in networking, but I would recommend setting up the M1EXP with a static IP to diagnose. Tips for static configuration of the M1EXP for debugging:

* Use an IP in the same sub-block as your local PCs. For example, if your PC is 192.168.10 and your router is 192.168.0.1, maybe set the M1EXP to 192.168.0.5
* Do not configure a gateway (Gateway is only needed to access the public internet. For now, you just want it on your local network)
* Connect directly to the M1EXP and capture the packets with Wireshark.

I hope this helps get you pointed into the right direction.

So, far, I have:

(i) replaced the M1XEP
(ii) replaced router

Sounds as if you have replaced every thing there is - except the device you use to connect to it. Probably this is a long shot but do you have a different computer you can use to connect via Elk RP?
Also - not sure exactly what you mean by (iv) above - allocated an IP using the MAC address? Is that some sort of security function of your router?

So, far, I have:

(i) replaced the M1XEP
(ii) replaced router

Sounds as if you have replaced every thing there is - except the device you use to connect to it. Probably this is a long shot but do you have a different computer you can use to connect via Elk RP?
Also - not sure exactly what you mean by (iv) above - allocated an IP using the MAC address? Is that some sort of security function of your router?

By the statement, "allocated static IP address to M1XEP using the MAC address", I assume this to mean that you "reserved" and IP for the specified MAC address in your router's DHCP software. This way, the ELKRP client should get a specified IP when the DHCP client requests one. If this is what you did and meant, then let me please clarify that this method still relies upon DHCP to provide and address to the M1EXP and is not by definition a "static ip".

The reason I suggest that you configure the M1EXP itself with a static IP (by using the jumper change and procedures outlined in the manual) so that it does not use the DHCP client any longer is because I suspect that your router DHCP is specifying something wrong. For example, if you put your ISP's Gateway into the DHCP client gateway, then all your local network traffic would be routed outside your network to the ISP, and then back into your network again using NAT (Network Address Translation). The M1EXP does not work very well over NAT. This problem I described is extremely common in fact as it is an easy mistake to make. Hence, I would suggest you configure your M1EXP with a static IP and no gateway address to ensure that local M1EXP traffic is not routed and is available to your local network only.

In case it helps, your router's DHCP client should be configured such that:
DNS 1 = ISP's DNS 1 (unless you run your own caching DNS, which I doubt you do)
DNS 2 = ISP's DNS 2
Gateway = Your Router's IP address (not your ISP Gateway)

Hope this helps

You mentioned on the HomeSeer message board that you are experiencing packet loss when pinging the Elk M1XEP. Have you tried replacing the cable that connects your Elk M1EXP to your switch? I have seen simliar issues in the past and it turned out to be an incorreclty wired cable.

Regards,
Ultrajones

Back