Elk M1G Outputs 7-16 / How to connect Elk Relay Board

lstorm2003

So I want to wire my Elk outdoor siren off a relay on the Elk M1G instead of using output 2 (which buzzes all the time because of low voltage put out by supervision).  

I don't have output 3 on the Elk M1G available because I used it for my Strobe light..  Thanks again for the help on that one guys! :)  But anyway here's my current issue:

I ordered and received 2 of these Elk heavy duty relays (see link below) (which I'm told will allow me to use 2 of the outputs in the range 7-16 on the Elk M1):
http://www.safemart.com/Relays/ELK-Heavy-Duty-12V-or-24V-Relay-ELK-912B.htm?utm_source=gbase&product=Product%20Listings&gclid=CMSpstmnjrYCFVGnPAod71QArw

My problem is the Elk M1G just has a row of Pins for outputs 7-16 with no apparent way to connect my newly acquired relays.  How do I physically connect the relays to the Elk M1G?  Am I missing a part?  The only way I can see to do it at the moment is to solder wires directly to the little pins (7-16) on the Elk M1G.

Any thoughts?

Also FYI, I had trouble with that relay's little brother the Elk-912 pulling in all the time via those Elk M1 outputs (on a friend's system).  I switched to the ELK-924 and those problems went away.

The most likely reason is the Elk-912* relays require a minimum pull-in voltage of 9 VDC, while the Elk-924 only require five volts to their trigger input.  I know, on paper 9 volts should be sufficient...  Maybe it was also the reduced current draw (30 mA vs 1.2 mA).

Just posting this in case you are having problems. ;)

@jpmargis Thanks! You were right, found the cable in the box my M1 was shipped in hooked it up all good. :)

@BraveSirRobin So far no problem, & thx for the tip. I wired it the same way I wired my Strobe light and setup the rules to activate the siren when the alarm is tripped.

Works great, I love the customizability of it. I set the strobe to stay flashing for 2 hours and the siren to sound for 12 minutes. The siren is silenced when the alarm is disarmed with a code but the strobe keeps on flashing until you use an F key to shut it off manually or until the 2 hours is up, whatever happens first.

One last comment, the 912 relay came with instructions from Elk with "wiring examples" one of which was exactly the way I wired my strobe.

@Elk If you would simply put those diagrams from the 912 relay in the M1G manual under the section about Output 3, then people like me would have known how to set that up. You might want to consider adding that to the M1G manual.. Would have saved me a lot of headaches....

Back