ELK M1G wiring to Kidde SM120x relay

All,

Looking for some advice on how to wire the Kidde SM120x relay from my smoke detectors to my ELK M1G.  I am unsure which wires I should be using to connect the relay to the M1G, and whether a smoke alarm should be NO, NC, etc...

I've attached the manual for the SM120x, and would appreciate any input.

Thank you in advance

Scott 

You should search this thread and you will learn its not a great idea to do that. From the Kidde SM120X guide:

CAUTION: The model SM120X should not be used to connect groups of alarms to a fire
alarm panel or to interconnect groups of fire alarms together.

Also: Since this module is 120 volt AC powered, it will not function during an AC power failure, even if it is being used with the model 1275,1275CA,1276,1276CA, 1285, 1285CA, 1296, i12040, i12040CA, i12060, i12060CA, i12080, PE120, PE120CA,PI 2000,PI2000CA,KN-COSM-IB, KN-COSM-IBCA, HD135F, and HD135FCA, alarms which have battery backup power.

Basically its not a good idea. There are other reasons as well, such as the fact that your Kidde Smoke detectors were never designed to connect to a monitored panel.

So the best practice is add 12V smokes to your M1G as it was designed to use. They are supervised, don't require 120V, and most importantly, designed for this purpose.  Typically these are photoelectric type, NOT ionization type like the ones required to be i the house.  And to answer your next question, those Kidde 9V interconnected smoke alarms are required as well.

Thank you for the advice.

Given that the home is finished, including the basement, and 12v wiring was not run throughout, what would you recommend I do?  I would like to monitor fire on my M1G, and running new wiring throughout my home is not an option....  only place I could put a 12v smoke detector is in my furnace room (location of my M1G), but this 12v smoke would not be able to monitor the rest of the home....

Thanks 

scottgoodman said:
Thank you for the advice.

Given that the home is finished, including the basement, and 12v wiring was not run throughout, what would you recommend I do?  I would like to monitor fire on my M1G, and running new wiring throughout my home is not an option....  only place I could put a 12v smoke detector is in my furnace room (location of my M1G), but this 12v smoke would not be able to monitor the rest of the home....

Thanks 

There are wireless smoke detectors that you could add to the system.  There are different models that are compatible with the three types of the Elk wireless receivers.

https://www.security.honeywell.com/hsc/products/intruder-detection-systems/life-safety/wireless-smoke-detector/

http://www.interlogix.com/safety/product/esl-supervised-wireless-smoke-alarm

http://www.elkproducts.com/product-catalog/elk-6050-smoke-detector

I wouldn't add a smoke detector to the furnace room.  A heat detector would be a better choice to use there.

Yes wireless is great. We prewired, but wanted to do outside gates, mail boxes, wireless driveway sensors, you name it, and wireless is the way to go. Myself I'm not a fan of the Elk 2-way wireless, but other types work great. Batteries last 10 years so they don't wear out often. They are supervised and they alert you when batteries are low. 

I'm also a big fan of heat detectors, but if all possible, those are the only sensors where I wouldn't consider wireless. Put those by the furnace room, attic, garage and even kitchen.

Back