ELK-M1KPAS Problem

KB4OB

I am in the process of installing my M1G and have added a second M1KPAS arming station for the back door which appers to work fine until I attempt to disarm the system with a user code then it acts as if the system is ignoring it.
It works fine for arming using the same code and all indicators appear to be normal.
I am using daisy chain serial bus which includes the primary keypad, a Zone Expander in Elk Enclosure, and the Arming Station. Everything enrolls fine..

I am also having trouble getting a supposedly new PSC05 Powerline interface module to work. It does nothing except light LED on module when pugged in.

M1G
HW Ver .11
Boot Ver 3.2.2
Firmware Ver 4.4.6
RP Ver 1.6.16

Three things could be wrong with the intallation:

1. You have not gone through the re-enrollment of RS-485 data bus devices and the M1 does not know the M1KPAS exists. The lights work but entering the code does not. Use installer menu 1 to re-enroll all devices.

2. There is a keypad address conflict. Make sure the M1KPAS is not set to the same address as any other keypad and re-enroll.

3. Data bus not terminated properly. Make sure you have the data bus terminating jumper in place on two devices as explained on page 7 of the M1 instructions.

On the PSC05 the most common problem is the telephone cord is built wrong. There must be 4 conductors and the ends must be in place in the proper direction. The M1 manual explains which direction the telephone cord must be build on the ends. You have a 50:50 chance of it being built right.

Three things could be wrong with the intallation:

1. You have not gone through the re-enrollment of RS-485 data bus devices and the M1 does not know the M1KPAS exists. The lights work but entering the code does not. Use installer menu 1 to re-enroll all devices.

2. There is a keypad address conflict. Make sure the M1KPAS is not set to the same address as any other keypad and re-enroll.

3. Data bus not terminated properly. Make sure you have the data bus terminating jumper in place on two devices as explained on page 7 of the M1 instructions.

On the PSC05 the most common problem is the telephone cord is built wrong. There must be 4 conductors and the ends must be in place in the proper direction. The M1 manual explains which direction the telephone cord must be build on the ends. You have a 50:50 chance of it being built right.

Thanks for the reply.
I have done the following:
1. I re-enrolled the keypad twice and even changed the address on it to device 5 just to be sure it was working.

2. See 1 above.

3. I am using home run Cat5 cables to both keypads and also including a Zone Expander in the chain.
(a)The Zone Expander is located in the M1 cabinet with a short section of Cat5 Cable and it is the second device in the string with no terminating jumper.
(b)The Arming Station is the 3rd device and has termination jumper installed.
©The primary keypad is the 1st device with no terminating jumper.
(d)The M1 has a terminating jumper installed.

I used the G + GW outbound and bridged them to O + OW at each device then bridged the O + OW back to G + GW at the panel for the next device cable. I even avoided bridging the two pairs at the last device( Arming Station) in order to avoid possible issue with an un-terminated pair coming back to cabinet.
I believe this is the same thing that a M1DBH does with CAT5 Jacks.
The odd thing is that the System will accept user arming codes from this station but will not respond to exact same code for disarm.
The RP software appears to have very little functionality for programming this unit?

On the PSC05:
I tried (3) different 4 wire phone cables on the X10 interface with same results. I even stole one of them from a functional phone but it could still be bad since a phone only needs two conducters. I will do an end-to-end continuity check on them.

When you re-enroll all the devices, does the M1KPAS show up in the list of devices on the keypad or ELKRP?

Take the M1KPAS back to the M1 and connect it. Re-enroll and see if it shows up. Make sure you are connecting Data A to Data A and Data B to Data B on the RS-485 data bus.

The telephone cable ends have to be turned in the proper direction when they are crimped on the telephone wire on the PSC05. Wiring will be pin 1 to pin 4, or both tabs will be up on the telephone cord ends. Some cords have one tab up and one tab down which will not work. This is shown on page 4 of the ELK M1 installation instructions. Also, when you define a lighting device, the format should be Standard for an X-10 lighting device to work.

When you re-enroll all the devices, does the M1KPAS show up in the list of devices on the keypad or ELKRP?

Take the M1KPAS back to the M1 and connect it. Re-enroll and see if it shows up. Make sure you are connecting Data A to Data A and Data B to Data B on the RS-485 data bus.

The telephone cable ends have to be turned in the proper direction when they are crimped on the telephone wire on the PSC05. Wiring will be pin 1 to pin 4, or both tabs will be up on the telephone cord ends. Some cords have one tab up and one tab down which will not work. This is shown on page 4 of the ELK M1 installation instructions. Also, when you define a lighting device, the format should be Standard for an X-10 lighting device to work.

I re-enrolled the bus devices again with RP software and the PAS shows up as Keypad 5 and the details screen for enrolled keypads and expanders shows the following for same:

Keypad=5 Firmware=1.0.6 Hardware= 2.4 Bootware=1.0.4

Another thought?
Since the Zone Expander is in the M1 cabinet, I should be able to create two bus's with the expander and primary keypad on one bus and the arming station on the other bus by itself. At least this will eliminate issues with long daisy chained runs.

PSC05:
I finally located and verified direct pin-to-pin RJ6 4-pin cable using my Cat5 Cable scanner but the system still wont turn lights on or off. Initially I only have one X10 module programmed and it is on A1. Under automation/lighting I programmed A1 as standard on/off switch and Under Rules, I created a rule that turns above (A1) on at dusk and off at 10:00PM.
The lights function shows up on the main keypad and I can toggle it on & off but the X10 switch does nothing and the LED on the PSC05 stays on constantly, no blinking on commands from M1.
I also put Both the PSC05 and the X10 switch in the same duplex outlet to insure that they are on same phase.
I ordered another PSC05 since I have had QC problems with other X10 products in the past and I know of no other way to check the M1. The X10 switch was working fine on a GE Simon system.

Concerning the PSC05 issue, check that header pins "JP2" (on the M1G) has the shorting jumper set for 2-Way mode.

As for the M1KPAS, make sure that your user code has the "disarm" authorization option checked in ELK-RP and downloaded to the control.

Concerning the PSC05 issue, check that header pins "JP2" (on the M1G) has the shorting jumper set for 2-Way mode.

As for the M1KPAS, make sure that your user code has the "disarm" authorization option checked in ELK-RP and downloaded to the control.

I checked JP2 yesterday and it is set for 2-way.

The user code is enabled for disarm and it works fine for both arm & disarm on the M1KP primary keypad.

Thanks Don

You don't happen to have a zero in your code do you?
M1KPAS Firmware version 1.0.8 corrected the following: User code containing the digit zero (0) were not passing through to the control.

I know you say it arms with the code, do you have single digit arming enabled? I suggest you update to version 1.0.8 or try a different user code.

You don't happen to have a zero in your code do you?
M1KPAS Firmware version 1.0.8 corrected the following: User code containing the digit zero (0) were not passing through to the control.

I know you say it arms with the code, do you have single digit arming enabled? I suggest you update to version 1.0.8 or try a different user code.

YES!!!
(1) I created a new user code without the zero and it worked perfectly.
(2) I then downloaded and flashed the keypad with 1.0.8 and the original code now works also....

Thanks again Don.
I reviewed the downloads last week but apparently missed the PAS update.

Now if I can just get the &^%$& PSC05 working.............

Back