ELK M1XEP Integration with Insteon Hub

kxcntry99

All, I am looking for some guidance regarding my M1 and insteon setup. 

I recently expanded my M1 Gold with the M1XEP interface to enable use of an iphone to arm the system. As a separate project I added a few insteon plug in devices and a insteon hub. I intend to continue to expand the insteon portion of my setup with some wired in devices in the future.

I wanted to see if there is a way to integrate these two systems and allow the M1 to control a few of the insteon devices. I am not looking to do anything crazy, just to turn on a few lights when the alarm is triggered. I like the insteon hub interface and would like to continue using it to control the insteon devices. 

It looks like ELK did a web presentation on integrating with the ISY interface here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj6kx35Q37s but I haven't found anything for the hub.

Does anyone know if there is a way to use the M1XEP and the hub to control some insteon devices? 

There is now a new 2245-222 HUB II {2014} and the older 2242-222 HUB.

The new 2245-222 has different features than the original.  Dropped things like X10 support and working with their now free Houselinc program.
Houselinc is now also called Legacy and no new devices are being added or updates being made.

So a solution for the older HUB may no longer work with the HUB II.

Looks like I have the new 2245-222 hub. Does that change my capabilities?

DELInstallations: I'm not looking to reinvent the wheel, just hoping that I could accomplish my goal with what I had already bought. Maybe it's not possible since it looks like in the video they are using the ISY interface to connect to the M1 rather than using the M1 to connect to the ISY...

No way to do it because there's no way for any data or signals from the M1 to get into the hub without engineering a way for the M1 to talk to the app. Either you get the PLM to get the data onto the local insteon network via the M1 and XSP or you do the same (albeit more expensive but adds more features) using a PLM and ISY and then add the apps to the ISY so it can interpret the signals from the M1 via the XSP.

Basically, there's no access to the back end of the hub or to export the data and import it into the M1 to be controlled, nor a way for the M1 to get into the hub and control it unless you brew your own interface via scripting and the app and run it somewhere else the M1 can access.

Thanks for confirming. I guess I should have done some more research before buying the hub knowing in the future I would want to tie the two together. 

What additional features would I get by going the ISY route? 

There are two versions of Elk integration with the ISY, the first is you export the lighting info to the Elk and write your rules there.  The second and more advanced method is to buy the Elk plugin with the ISY, in which case the rules can be written on the ISY and the ISY can control Elk functions as well.  So with the Elk plugin you can program a insteon keypad button to perform elk functions.  One example I have is a "goodnight" button that arms the system, shuts off all the lights in the house, turns on the bedroom scene (and via CQC powers off my TV, etc). 

The ISY also has many other plugins/modules, ZWave (locks/lights/other modules), weather, power monitoring, etc.

Because the ISY runs Java for the admin interface those functions are not available on mobile platforms, but it does have a rudimentary web page built for control that is available to anything with a browser.  If you want to control everything via mobile you may want to look into additional apps for Elk/Lighting control.  eKeypad is a great option on iPhone/iPad.  Android doesn't really have any good options I have found yet, I tried MyKeypad but it hogs the M1XEP and caused issues for me.  (Again I use CQC to control things remotely).

Mobilinc is a great IOS system to access your ISY. Their interface is completely customizable, can be protected and works really well. Their tech support is also outstanding. http://www.mobilinc.com

I have an ISY in a second home with over 200 programs, 40 + devices. I can access all the programs (for execution only), all the devices, all the scenes, thermostats remotely from anywhere in the world on my IOS devices.

They have an ELK module as well as video Cam modules too. I haven't installed those yet. Am in the process of beginning a home rebuild over the next year and am slowly putting together (in my head) my complete system. So far, it looks like it will rely on the ISY as the ultimate aggregator of: Elk, Insteon, X-10, Russound (and camera?).

Base on my huge success with Mobilinc, Mobilinc will become my primary ultimate "user" interface with ISY, in combination with Russound sound only keypads and Insteon keypads in the house running on a few iPads mounted in the walls in the kitchen, great room and master bedroom, "dumbed" down for easy guest operation of all lights, security, cameras, house sound etc. The iPads  will also have a few other apps like the Russound app, weather, radar, stocks, sports and photos. 

I will of course have full access through ISY Java, and fully operational Mobilinc on my iOS devices.   Cant wait. and will be looking for anyone's experiences in this area!

Thanks and good luck!

A few more comments on Mobilinc: it also has Geofencing and voice control options. I use Geofencing to turn the heat up as i drive to my second home, as well as to turn on a variable in combination with motion detection to alert the house that i have arrived and it opens mutlipe garage doors depending on the season and turns on lights for me, depending on the time of day. 

It is a great program in concoction with the ISY.

Back