Elk Marketing Collateral

IVB

Wondering if there's any Elk Marketing collateral or talking points other than what's on your site. Items such as "Why Elk and not ADT" would be awesome. Also, and I know this is an "over the line" request (but everyone here will tell you that I'm an "over the line" kinda guy :) ) - is it possible to get the MS-word version of those PDFs so I can copy/paste it into a powerpoint file?

We're going through a mini-crime wave up in Northern California, and I've volunteered to educate my neighbors on security systems. Not that I know tons, but I certainly know more than 99% of them. 30 people have already RSVP'ed for the session, and more seem to come in every day.

I'm going to walk them through the following 3 options. The goal isn't to get them to pick one option over the other, it's to get them to do *one* of the options. Obviously it would be nice to pick #2 or #3, but i'll settle for increased security.

1) Professionally installed and closed solutions like ADT, what they typically offer
2) Professionally installed but DIY friendly Elk systems, where someone else does the install and hard work, but gives you the installer codes so you can modify ad-nauseum after the fact (ie, add more sensors)
3) Fully DIY'ing an Elk

I'll be using a powerpoint for the first 45-60minutes, and an ElkRP demo for the last 15-30. I have some talking points I can create, and will post that PDF up in the HA subforum for responses from all, but wondering if you have anything pre-generated so I don't have to think so hard.

I'll also be sending the ppt on to 3 different watch groups, probably 2K members all-in for each of them. Given that it's a free thing, i'm sure many more will end up attending, I may have to do this multiple times or on a regular basis, so I'm hoping to create a document that is reusable.

(BTW, Martin/Brandon: I'm putting in AO links to the products themselves and Brandon's contact info, prepare for the next onslaught of emails)

The problems with ADT and Brinks isn't so much the equipment as it is the installers they employ.

Some of the big names have custom equipment, thats a major no-no. Nobody can help them.

The people really need to have a good understanding of what the sensors do and how they work before they should start adding alarm zones to a system. Once they have that knowledge they will also know if the installer is doing the install correctly too. :)

EDIT: Major editing, a lot of stuff that had little to do with the point of the thread.

Wondering if there's any Elk Marketing collateral or talking points other than what's on your site. Items such as "Why Elk and not ADT" would be awesome. Also, and I know this is an "over the line" request (but everyone here will tell you that I'm an "over the line" kinda guy :) ) - is it possible to get the MS-word version of those PDFs so I can copy/paste it into a powerpoint file?

We're going through a mini-crime wave up in Northern California, and I've volunteered to educate my neighbors on security systems. Not that I know tons, but I certainly know more than 99% of them. 30 people have already RSVP'ed for the session, and more seem to come in every day.

I'm going to walk them through the following 3 options. The goal isn't to get them to pick one option over the other, it's to get them to do *one* of the options. Obviously it would be nice to pick #2 or #3, but i'll settle for increased security.

1) Professionally installed and closed solutions like ADT, what they typically offer
2) Professionally installed but DIY friendly Elk systems, where someone else does the install and hard work, but gives you the installer codes so you can modify ad-nauseum after the fact (ie, add more sensors)
3) Fully DIY'ing an Elk

I'll be using a powerpoint for the first 45-60minutes, and an ElkRP demo for the last 15-30. I have some talking points I can create, and will post that PDF up in the HA subforum for responses from all, but wondering if you have anything pre-generated so I don't have to think so hard.

I'll also be sending the ppt on to 3 different watch groups, probably 2K members all-in for each of them. Given that it's a free thing, i'm sure many more will end up attending, I may have to do this multiple times or on a regular basis, so I'm hoping to create a document that is reusable.

(BTW, Martin/Brandon: I'm putting in AO links to the products themselves and Brandon's contact info, prepare for the next onslaught of emails)

If anyone is opting to option 1 and is very nervous about having an alarm and entering a code etc they might go for something like this

Napco Freedom 64 Codeless Alarm

It is nothing like an ELK but may be better suited for codephobics etc. who just want a basic alarm. ADT and many other professional installers are putting them in around the country. It is pretty much impossoble to have an entry/exit false alarm. It is also well suited for visually challanged or people with other types of disabilities.

Personally I would hope people go with option 2 or 3.

Just a suggestion for those that are afaid of conventional alarms.

If anyone is opting to option 1 and is very nervous about having an alarm and entering a code etc

If you are going to have an M1 set up for the demo, how about putting a prox reader in the keypad so you never have to enter a code?

Thx for the replies.

1) Thanks Brian, I got one of those too, still hoping Elk gives me the original file so it's nice & clean.

2) Also hoping folks go with an Elk, even if it's a pro install (like ellisr63 did) as it's generally just nicer.

3) Doing this at the local library, not my house, so no demo capabilities. It'll all be powerpoint & ElkRP (disconnected from my setup).

So what's say you, Spanky? I just had another 3 people RSVP today, the room holds 100 but I only reserved 1/2 of it, so I may extend it if I get a bigger turnout. Pretty pretty pretty please? Can I get some of those wonderful collateral in native format?

I'm not asking for free stuff or a kickback or any of that stuff, just a word doc :)

Also FYI, I'll be putting cocoontech.com on the "where to learn more" page.

Thx for the replies.

1) Thanks Brian, I got one of those too, still hoping Elk gives me the original file so it's nice & clean.

2) Also hoping folks go with an Elk, even if it's a pro install (like ellisr63 did) as it's generally just nicer.

3) Doing this at the local library, not my house, so no demo capabilities. It'll all be powerpoint & ElkRP (disconnected from my setup).

So what's say you, Spanky? I just had another 3 people RSVP today, the room holds 100 but I only reserved 1/2 of it, so I may extend it if I get a bigger turnout. Pretty pretty pretty please? Can I get some of those wonderful collateral in native format?

I'm not asking for free stuff or a kickback or any of that stuff, just a word doc :)

Also FYI, I'll be putting cocoontech.com on the "where to learn more" page.

An ELK may be beyond some peoples budgets and SOMETIMES something is better than nothing so a pro install by ADT etc. may work for a few people. I personally found most pro installs of the $99 specials not worth the paper they are printed on but they are very popular.

Don't forget to inform people if they go for the $99 ADT special they will most likely be locked into monitoring at > $20 mo for several years. Also, it would not be unreasonable to highlight the EZ8. It is just as capable a security system and less expensive.

What about LaserShield! According to the commercials they were the get all, beat all of home security!!!!!! (NOT!!!!!) hahahahaa

Did you save that big glossy poster that came with your M1? I have a couple I can send you.

Brian

We got posters? Before you send it, what does it look like? I've got a bunch of Elk catalogs, that might be "good enough".

Just curious if anyone knows how that NAPCO freedom system works. From reading the marketing info it sounds like they have a plunger type switch in the dead-bolt socket. So to arm/disarm the system you lock/unlock the dead-bolt. Wow, is that really safe?

There is no plunger type switch. The deadbolt position is sensed by a "deadbolt cup" with a coil that can tell if the deadbolt is engaged or not but it is not a switch. It can tell a deadbolt from other objects. If someone was to kick in the door the panel would immediatly alarm if armed, including in stay mode which a conventional alarm cant (I have personnally tested this). You cannot break a glass window and reach in and disengage the deadbolt etc if installled correctly either (tested that also).

One neat feature is you cant leave your house with the back door deadbolt disengaged etc. This can also be done on a more conventional system to if you want.

Its actually a nice system for the market it is intended for. It is not for someone that wants automation etc. It was designed for those that do not want to deal with an alarm code or have a tendency to create false alarms in entry/exit.

I am not trying to push this product and I only feel its well suited for those that can not handle a typical alarm system (it works well for what it is and its much better than nothing). I do work for Napco but I am not here to push the sale of their products. You will rarely see me mentioning their products (I admitedly endorse the ELK products publicly but I have no affiliation with them).

Back