elk monitoring

jduncc

For those of you that have your home security system monitored (elk or other), I'm curious to know what method you are using (phone, broadband, radio, cell, etc) and what provider you use.

I'm trying to decide how to monitor my system, it still seems like most people have them monitored with standard phone lines, but then when its cut, it is useless.

Thanks!

I'm still working on mine but two that came up were NextAlarm and AlarmRelay (.com for both). The monitoring was $8-9 a month.

With one of them you can monitor via cablemodem so it can tell when the signal stops.

There is also an option in general to add cellular backup (think the hardware costs a few hundred) which adds $7 or $8 a month to the bill.

I'm not using either of these at the moment, but were the primary one that came up. I suppose you might be able to use IP monitoring as well as telephone (not sure on this) but at least around here it seems they both come in at the same point (so cutting both which sounded like your concern would not be an issue).

I am browsing on my DSL backup line today because the main Roadrunner broadband has been so flaky I couldn't stand it. Can't see depending on cable for monitoring when the service is so erratic!

The next software upgrade for the M1XEP Ethernet Module will have Ethernet Monitoring capability to central stations equipped with the GE Osborne Hoffman Ethernet Receivers. The technology is still new. The Security Industries Association (SIA) is working towards an industry standard. Currently each receiver manufacturer has its own protocol.

As we get additional protocols for Ethernet monitoring, they will be added to the M1XEP Ethernet Module as a software upgrade.

The jury is still out on reliability of the Ethernet Monitoring Channel to central stations. At least the central station and you will know when the Ethernet goes down. LOL

That's great to hear Spanky. Makes me feel even better about my recent purchase (my M1XEP isn't even installed yet). From what I have seen, that is another $120 purchase currently.

A real smart move to standardize as it makes sense for all providers.

#%$%^# cable service. It's died in mid-post twice. Maybe the third time is the charm. A good reason NOT to trust cable for monitoring.

The threat of cut phone lines is greatly overstated. Yes, the wire can be cut, and yes, occasionally PROFESSIONAL thieves will cut it. However the vast majority of break-ins are smash-and-grabs, and the low-lifes doing them don't bother cutting wires (assuming they are smart enough to identify the phone wires in the first place). Cut wires are more od a commercial burglary problem. I used to have a detective friend (been a few years since I last talked to him) who said the only time he can remember cut wires in a residential burglary, was a 2.5 million dollar house where the thieves went in specifically for a large jewelery collection. And of course, there is nothing waying the theives can't cut the calbe wires also.

If you are really worried about cut wires, it's very easy (and cheap) to move the NID inside, and enclose all exposed wires in conduit.

Back