Elk Power Supply

wuench

I am in the middle of installing a supplemental elk power supply with the hopes of getting rid of all of my transformers. I have the 4A model. From adding up the loads I would like to put on it, based on the transformer labels, it looks like I may be a little over. I have a DSL modem (.8A), Router (1A), M1XEP (1.5A) and Elk-124 (.25-1.8A). I have some doubts that some of these actually need that much power. For example, if the router is 1A I have a hard time believing the M1XEP really needs 1.5A.

1.) With a multimeter, how would I tap in and measure the actual current draw of these devices? I have a multimeter, but it's been a long time since my high school electronics class :).

2.) What happens if I am over? Will the Elk PS blow an internal fuse or will the whole thing just blow up. I just want to know what to look for, in case I accidentally go over the limit.

Usually the ratings of products are slightly over rated (they often round up). Some product draw more current depending on their mode of operation (standby or alarm etc). You can always measure all of the products and put them through their fucntions and record the worst case. Standby could be 100 ma but alarm could be 250 ma for a device etc.

I thought the M!EXP had a 750 ma rating but I am going off memory.

1.) Current is measured is series. You would interupt the one lead to the product and put your meter in series. Make sure your meter can handle the current load and that you use the correct input for the test leads etc or you might damage the meter.

2) If you overload the PS it will run hotter than it is supposed to at the very least. You might trip an overcurrent protection device (fuse, ptc etc). Heat is one of the worst enemies of any electronic device. If you overload a PS enough it might shorten the life of the unit. If its a significant overload you might damage the unit but most likely it will protect itself. I beleive all of the ELK units protect themselves very well.

Sorry, I have to run but I did get a chance to look at the specs for the M1XEP and it reads 300 ma not 1.5A. I think you need to re-look at the specs for each of the devices.

Edit: Digger and I were typing at the same time.

I didn't think to check the spec sheet for the M1XEP, I was going off the label on the transformer. That's some serious rounding up!

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot at taking the measurements. Especially for the audio card once I get the volume set, as that one is variable... Sounds like I may be ok though.

I didn't think to check the spec sheet for the M1XEP, I was going off the label on the transformer. That's some serious rounding up!

If the M1EXP needs 750 ma then the PS needs to supply that much (at least). If ELK supplies a 1.5 A supply (and the module needs 750 ma) then they are not stressing the PS (its a little switcher if I remember correctly). Running at 50% load on a switcher that thing will last forever. The rounding up is really on the M1EXP. If it is rated 750 ma it may only draw 650 or so. You would have to measure it to see for sure.

The above assumes that the 750 ma rating I stated is correct.

EDIT: Its 300 ma as posted above. The PS is just capable of so much more. You dont find "cheap just get by the seat of your pants" with ELK. They give you a nice product.

Digger said:
You dont find "cheap just get by the seat of your pants" with ELK. They give you a nice product.
Ah, the Elk stuff is all crap! That is why I commit most of my salary every month to buying more of it. ;) Thank god there is only limited enclosure space and wall bays (for more enclosures) available, which will stop me, eventually....

And I bet you said the same thing about your 20GB hard drive before you upgraded it to a 300GB! Don't worry, there are always more and bigger enclosures! ;)

Steve said:
And I bet you said the same thing about your 20GB hard drive before you upgraded it to a 300GB! Don't worry, there are always more and bigger enclosures! ;)
wish you were wrong :(

2 x 50" enclosures, 3 smaller ones ... and counting :p

Back