Elk questions

I have 2 questions about the Elk

First, what is the intended use of a zone defined as type 34 (analog)? If this is for A to D or D to A devies, has anyone used them and with what rules?

Second, I want to use my combo motion/glass break detectors both as interior burglar zones when armed in certain states and to activate some UPB lighting in other armed states or in the unarmed state.

Should I identify those zones as non-burglar and write rules for each specific state?

First, what is the intended use of a zone defined as type 34 (analog)? If this is for A to D or D to A devies, has anyone used them and with what rules?
Yes, I believe so but I think the problem is the resolution is not so good. BSR played with this quite a bit I believe in his garage door and water softener howto's and can probably give you alot more detail.

Second, I want to use my combo motion/glass break detectors both as interior burglar zones when armed in certain states and to activate some UPB lighting in other armed states or in the unarmed state.

Should I identify those zones as non-burglar and write rules for each specific state?
I believe the glass break and motion each hook to their own zone. But regardless, you should be able to write rules against those zone to accomplish what you want regardless of the zone definition. I'm not sure I know a reason not to make a glass break not a perimeter protection zone just like a door or window contact and the PIR can be configured several ways depending on your goal, but either way the rules should be fine.

I have used the analog zones with CdS cells before (light detection). The system reports it as a voltage, which worked pretty well. The only problem is that you can't trigger rules based on value, but you can process the value every x seconds or so by creating a recurring rule.

Plus there is no way to display a "direct" reading unless you use something like HomeSeer.

But the really big problem is the input zones have a "pull-up" resistor which will affect low current inputs (as these zones were initially intended for "security applications"). The ultimate would be if Elk could provide a jumper setting that would let this resistor be disconnected from its rail supply. ;)

Thanks for the info. I'll have to take a look at those threads.

With the limitations on the analog input, I don't see any real uses for my application for now. Any idea what the threshold values for current and voltage are?

[/QUOTE The system reports it as a voltage, ]

What are the voltage increments that the system can detect as changes?

acdcelectric said:
How do you get those cute little highlighted boxes around your quotes...LOL?

You need a bracket QUOTE at the beginning of the quoted text and a [/QUOTE bracket at the end.

in your reply, you can use the "QUOTE" button before and after the text to accomplish this.

Back