Elk rules not working

The Pod

I just started creating rules on my Elk and noticed that they are not working. I know when I first installed the Elk months ago, the rules were working. Since then I've upgraded the ElkRP software but not any firmwares on the panel itself, could this be the issue as to why my rules are not running? ;) I do know the firmware on the panel is older than what is available for download. Should I upgrade all the firmwares? What's the best way to do this?

I tested this morning with a simple WHENEVER Every 60 seconds Say Time and nothing ever happens so I know its not a problem rule as this worked fine when I first installed the panel and tested it.

The Pod

Does the voice work if you press the UP arrow key on the keypad?

If not, try resetting everything. Start by turning off power and then turn it back on. Check operation.

The next item to try is resetting the voice announcements using Global installer programming menu 07, 45, 94. Exit out of programming and try the voices.

Next is to reset the entire control, menu 07,45,99. You will have to reload all of your setting if the entire control is reset.

One of these should get the voices working. If not, it could be hardware.

Spanky, Thanks, I'll try that, but as I stated, its not just voices its all the rules themselves that are not working. WHENEVER Every 5 seconds TURN OUPTUT(10) on for 1 Sec doesn't work either. None of the rules execute. I only created that simple voice rule to test if I could get the rules working.

The Pod

I had a slightly similar problem the other night. It was late and I needed to add a rule quickly to address an urgent need. My son was sleepwalking and almost walked out the back door of the house (luckily I woke up and heard him trying to open the door). We dont arm stay at night since my wife often forgets to disarm it in the morning if she has to go into the garage and get something from the 2nd refrig.

Anyway I wrote a rule to re-enable the voice announcements and say that the door is opened if the time is after 10 PM etc. I went and tried it and it did not work. Well it was late and I was half asleep but 5 mins later I realized I never "sent" it to the panel.

I know you are very experienced etc and this is probably not the problem but figured I would state the obvious "just in case". You know the saying.....Sometimes genius's fall down because they tied their shoelaces together etc. ;)

Digger said:
Anyway I wrote a rule to re-enable the voice announcements and say that the door is opened if the time is after 10 PM etc. I went and tried it and it did not work. Well it was late and I was half asleep but 5 mins later I realized I never "sent" it to the panel.
No I don't think its an issue of not sending to the panel because rules that were already there on the panel and working before are no longer running either such as sending outside temp to keypad display. I'm not sure when they stopped, but I'm suppecting it was about the same time I upgraded the ElkRP software and added a serial expander, I've just haven't noticed since I didn't have that many rules to begin with (too busy with other HA projects ;) ). What brought it to my attention was I created a rule to lower the thermostat temp at night and another to raise it in the morning and it never ran. That's when I started looking at it and noticed the other rules weren't running either. That's why I'm curious of doing the control reset might work, or am I better off just updating the firmware and bootware to the latest versions. :unsure:

The Pod

Save your rules in ELKRP and erase all the rule in the M1 except the one with the voice test. I am wondering if there is some kind of rule lockup.

If you push the up arrow does the M1 tell you the Zone status? This is to see if the voice module is working.

If all else fails, reload the upgrade and send the programming back down from ELKRP.

Pushing the up arrow did speak the zone status so it was some kind of rule lockup.
I shut the panel down for about 5 minutes (turning it off and back on didn't work) and when I started the panel back up the rules started working again. ;)

Thanks for everyone's help. :lol:

The Pod

Back