Elk Rules Programming Example Database

I'm not a moderator, but is it possible to split this thread into two? Since this thread is about "uploading your Elk rules you wish to share with others," I'm hoping to see this thread stick to the topic.

It can be helpful if anyone has questions about the rules for Elk or need help on constructing a rule, that the poster should start a new thread.

Thanks.

The ELK website lists a number of M1 programming examples.

If you click HERE you will be directed to a page that shows examples of the following:

* Automating the Hot Water Heater
* Brighten Any Holiday the Easy Way
* Don't Get Washed Away By Water Leaks
* Know An Alarm Has Occurred Before You Enter the Premises
* Monitor Temperature Sensitive Equipment
* You May Forget, But the M1 Won't!
* Don't Be Left Out In the Dark
* Automating The Garage Door
* Know When a Visitor is Approaching
* How To Make Waking Up More Pleasant
* How to Automate the Sprinkler System
* Voice Dialer Notification
* Keypad Text Message Reminders
* Visual Notification for the Hearing Impaired
* Announce Which Phone Line is Ringing
* Monitor An Elderly Loved One
* Lighting Ideas For...Convenience, Safety, & Security
* Limited Access Control System
* M1 Speaker Output to Line Level Output
* Using Custom Settings
* Using the ELK-MV480 for Additional Custom Recordings
* M1 Keypad Function Key Illumination Events
* Daylight Savings Time Reminders
* Manual Activation of Two Way Listen-In
* Using Counters
* Rules That Do Not Work and Why
* Auto Arming Based On Motion
* Controlling Window Treatments
* Monitor Pool/Spa Area for Safety
* How to Enable/Disable Non-Alarm Voice Messages
* How to Enable/Disable Users with Rules
* Phone/Email Notification to Installers

Dave

Grayson Peddie has a valid point. I doubt this "pinned thread" will ever be able to remain consistently 'on topic' because people will want to discuss posted examples ... sometimes a little off-topic ... and this creates one very long, muddled thread.

The entire Programming sub-forum was created (Fall 2007) for the exclusive purpose of sharing, and discussing, examples of M1 Rules Programming as opposed to all other aspects of the ELK M1. A dedicated forum for sharing Rules examples is infinitely more flexible, and organized, than a single, pinned message.

Post your example as a New Topic in the Programming forum and fellow Cocooners can Reply to their heart's content thereby maintaining an 'on topic' and consistent thread (most of the time). Have another example? Post it as a separate Topic. Looking for an example? Use the Search function and restrict its scope to the Programming forum.

If that argument doesn't convince you, consider the "success disaster" scenario where the pinned thread becomes wildly popular and grows to ten, twenty or more pages in length! What a misery to wade through page upon page of semi-relevant commentary and outright blah-blah (like this post by me) interspersed with a few good examples. Ugh.

I'm not suggesting we split this thread, I'm recommending it be demoted to unpinned status. What should be pinned are instructions on how to use the Programming forum ...

Your opinion may differ ... but, technically, you can't voice it here. :)

I developed a list of Elk M1 "THEN" options and added them to this thread by editing the list back at post #5 on page 1. This "completes" the documentation of the M1 Rule Set.

Has anyone written a programming overview?

For programmers?

I ask because I got tripped up by the "must enter texts in some darn table before looking to match texts on ethernet listener"

BaduFamily said:
Has anyone written a programming overview?

For programmers?

I ask because I got tripped up by the "must enter texts in some darn table before looking to match texts on ethernet listener"
No offense, but It would be great if you don't resurrect threads that are very old, since it's better to start a new thread instead.

I say this because I was a little surprised to see this thread resurrected.

sorry to startle you. I may startle you again. It's better to continue conversations about topics in existing areas. keeps cross-thread context searches down and all that.

thanks drvnbysound I'll check it out. in fact I may of. I'll know in a few moments!

( I have a 'thing' about video tutorials: I can read much faster than I can bear to listen someone drone on. and on. and make little jokes. how about a state machine diagram? some BNF? fully documented ladder diagrams? a model of what's going on in the Elk... )

I should be more clear about what I was looking for. 

BaduFamily said:
thanks drvnbysound I'll check it out. in fact I may of. I'll know in a few moments!

( I have a 'thing' about video tutorials: I can read much faster than I can bear to listen someone drone on. and on. and make little jokes. how about a state machine diagram? some BNF? fully documented ladder diagrams? a model of what's going on in the Elk... )

I should be more clear about what I was looking for. 

Understood.

Personally, I like both. While I can find a lot of information in manuals, there are a lot of useful information that is also left out of manuals as well. It's that sort of information that I look for and usually find in the video tutorials.

Back