Elk Rules - Sunset + Sunrise?

BryanE

Attempting to figure out a simple rule with the Elk. I would like an event to occur every day after Sunset but before the next day’s Sunrise.

So for example,
If the front door becomes Unsecure
And the time is after Sunset
And before Sunrise (following day)
Turn on Foyer light

I’ve tried a couple things but I'm not having much luck. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Attempting to figure out a simple rule with the Elk. I would like an event to occur every day after Sunset but before the next day’s Sunrise.

So for example,
Turn on Foyer light

I’ve tried a couple things but I'm not having much luck. Any pointers would be appreciated.
For the clarification of anybody else reading this later... the Elk sunrise/sunset rules are based upon the 24 hour clock of 1 day. So, on a particular day, say Sunday, there is NO time period that is both after sunset AND before sunrise.
Logically, you want:
"If the front door become unsecure and (the time is after sunset OR the time is before sunrise) then turn on foyer light."
but since the elk doesn't handle parenthetical logic easily, just use the "dark" flag like Sparky suggested.

FYI, I think there is still a weakness in the M1 in that the M1 doesn't set "dark" upon bootup. So rules based upon "dark" don't work the same day you turned you system on. I know this used to be true, but I thought I read it was fixed in a firmware release, but I think I still ran into it the last time I had to cold boot my M1.

There are several rules you can use. The Dark rule I think is 1/2 hour after sunset and
1/2 hour before sunrise. You can also use Sunset and Sunrise, it can be modified
for the event to occur anytime before or after Sunrise or Sunset.

I use a similar rule for turning on the outside lights if you open the front door
and it is dark outside, it also turns on a living room lamp so when I come home
I won't have to stumble around a dark house. I dim the outside lights to 40%
and then when I open the garage door or front door, set the lights to 100%
for 15 minutes. The garage door does not turn on the living room light. The
outside lights turn off at 11pm, but if you open the front door after that they turn on 100%
for 15 minutes.

Lots of possibilities. The only thing to remember is that the M1 changes days at 2400.
So, after sunset only goes to 2400, conversely before sunrise only goes to 0000.

You can also change this rule when you go on vacation or not have it happen on weekends,
or you can have it only work on certain dates, or days. I don't think there is any combination
that can't be programmed. You can also have it work when the alarm is set or not set.

The sunrise and sunset times are written to eprom so you can turn off your M1G and it
will remember the settings. Since Dark is triggered by sunrise and sunset, this rule
will work fine. These rules all are referenced by the internal clock.

Have fun,

Cliffs

So for example,
Turn on Foyer light

For the clarification of anybody else reading this later... the Elk sunrise/sunset rules are based upon the 24 hour clock of 1 day. So, on a particular day, say Sunday, there is NO time period that is both after sunset AND before sunrise.
Logically, you want:
"If the front door become unsecure and (the time is after sunset OR the time is before sunrise) then turn on foyer light."
but since the elk doesn't handle parenthetical logic easily, just use the "dark" flag like Sparky suggested.

FYI, I think there is still a weakness in the M1 in that the M1 doesn't set "dark" upon bootup. So rules based upon "dark" don't work the same day you turned you system on. I know this used to be true, but I thought I read it was fixed in a firmware release, but I think I still ran into it the last time I had to cold boot my M1.

I recall the Dark/Light flag is now set on power up.

Back