Home Security w/Some Automation Newbie Help Needed

KHouse

I’ve done quite a bit of reading on this forum + the web, and gotta say, feeling quite overwhelmed.  I wouldn’t  normally post a newbie/help thread on a forum, as searching and reading will usually give you all the answers you need…but boy is this stuff complicated!  I’m looking for a little guidance/help as to narrow my research and focus more where I should be and less on “everything” in this field.

I’ll try to best explain what I’m looking to do (the end product) and then the troubles/questions I’m having as to how to execute.
Looking for a home security system with a little bit of automation.  I don’t need to automate everything in the home, as I was strongly urged as a child to turn off all lights and tv’s…so to this day there’s nothing left on in a room if there’s nobody in that room.  However, I am looking for “some” automation with my security system.

Here’s what I’m looking for as the game plan and what I want to install now:
  • Security system tied to ADT.  Currently no system in the house.
  • Install 1 touchscreen panel in the foyer (both garage and front door entrances enter into the foyer, and is the only way we enter/exit the house)
  • Install 4 outdoor and 3 indoor security cameras w/recording capability (24 hr memory or whatever)
  • Install 4 exterior motion sensing lights.
  • Install 1st floor door and window sensors (8 total).
  • Install 3 wireless smoke/co alarms (1 on each floor of the house).
  • Install 6 total water sensors (3 on 1st floor, 3 in basement).
  • Ability to control 5 total lights.
  • Would be nice to have an audible alarm/voice in the master bedroom to tell me "where" the alarm was triggered (ex. patio door), if not too complicated to install.
Tasks I would  like this system to do:
  • Everything to be controllable via tablet/phone
  • Text me if water sensors sense water
  • Text/call me if the alarm goes off or Fire/CO goes off
  • Turn 4 specifics lights on if the alarm goes off
  • Have 3 of the lights turn on and off at sunset/sunrise
  • Watch live camera feeds on phone/tablet
  • Text me if any of the motion lights get activated after sunset
  • Very nice/modern touch screen display (possible iPad mini as wall mount control?)
For these considerations, is a budget of $3,500 reasonable assuming self install, or should I adjust this?

Things I don’t need:
  • Thermostat control.  We have these programmed and leave them alone.  With people always in and out, and pets…we have it set as we like it and prefer to keep this way.
  • There's no mood lighting or home theater or any other of this type control needed.
Possible future considerations:
  • We’ll probably install exterior landscaping lights, and would like to control these.
  • Expandable to control fans and misc. lights but nothing crazy.

I would like to install this myself, for the most part.  I have an electrician friend who doesn’t dabble in home security or automation (union guy, so usually they have other people do that, he just runs power).  The problem I’m having is I seem to be reading and learning a little bit about a lot of stuff.  If I can get pushed towards the best solution for this, or best system, I can then focus on learning just that, and will be able read, learn, and focus all energy on doing it myself. 
That’s mostly where I need help right now.  Where should I focus!?!

The “brains” of this will be located centrally on the first floor, and any wiring will have to work from that closet.
If anyone can recommend X system with Y parts, that would be great.  I’m mostly confused as to what extra modules or controllers I need to operate the devices necessary to get the above outcomes.

Looking at an Elk M1 setup vs. Omni.  (??)
Looking at Insteon vs. Zwave.  (??)

Say I run an Elk M1, I then connect an Ethernet Module (XEP?) to be wired to the cameras.  And if I can’t run a wired camera in a certain spot, then what?  How does that connect to the Elk?

How do I program the Elk?  I’m assuming there’s some program to download or buy?  Do I connect a laptop to it to program and then disconnect and the Elk runs it all…or is it done over the air (wifi)?

So all the window and door sensors will run wireless.  What about the water detectors?  How do they get power and or run wireless?  Added modules to them?  Battery operated?

I’m still lost as to how the ISY-994i works into this but understand I need this if running Insteon?
Like I said, I feel like I’ve learned just a little bit about a lot of stuff and any help to guide me in the right direction would be appreciated!!

*Lastly, I have 3 Belkin WEMO light switches setup to turn on/off at sunset/sunrise for 3 specifics lights in the house.  Will these work with any of the 2 systems above?

Any help is much appreciated!!

I installed my system myself, and learned a lot along the way. M1g with most of what you have, but no camera's yet, or light control.

I think you will find that most people will recommend separating a camera system and alarm system. Some brands are incorporating both (you see commercials on tv, forget the brand) and this may be the way you want to go. I decided to go with my own install to have a better system, and save on monitoring (you can get as cheap as 10/month, about 25 with cellular.) If you go with installer and service contract, you will probably pay 10 times and end up with inferior system.

If you are going to do this all on your own, you will need some wiring experience and basic networking. It was not that difficult, but you do hit some roadblock that you have to really work through and can be frustrating. It WAS a LOT of work though. If you are busy, you may want to consider hiring a professional.

Programing elk for the zones is really easy. It takes getting used to what the codes do and work and some false alarms, but not rocket science. Programing the rules is much trickier, but again not that complicated. Elk RP is really well done and fairly easy to navigate (the biggest reason to get the M1XEP.

I never used the Text messages, but have been using the email on XEP. the email is really finicky to program and sometimes stops working for no reason. It is really frustrating and IMHO, one of the worst parts of the elk system. But if you are going to be monitored, you should rely on monitoring company to do the contacting, and maybe text/email as backup in case something happened. Internet can be unreliable.

I would start with the cocoon help section on wiring and basics. I had not seen this when i first started and it is really helpful. Then, i would download all the instructions for the components you plan to add. read through them, highlight, and do a wiring diagram of how you plan to install it in your house and where it all goes together. Do all this before purchasing equipment.

Last, I bought the elk EK Pro for smartphone. it was $100 but worth every penny (and i am a cheap!). It allows you to do most of what you want, including connecting to an additional camera system.

Hope that helps.

Oh, for outdoor lights, i just used basic motion sensor lights, not connected to anything. You can use exterior motions tied to alarm, but this can give you many false triggers. Plus they are pricey. I think motion lights work good. no one wants to be lit up when they are doing something illegal.

Why would you WANT to use ADT?  They are expensive, and my experience with them many years ago was not good.  When the alarm would trip, they would send out a "private" security company to investigate.  Usually this person wouldn't get there until at least an hour after the alarm sounded and they would just drive by on the street, shine a flashlight on the house, and then leave.  This included the time we actually got robbed.  Worthless.

NextAlarm is like $11.95 a month, and they'll actually call the cops after verifying the alarm.

signal15 said:
Why would you WANT to use ADT?  They are expensive, and my experience with them many years ago was not good.  When the alarm would trip, they would send out a "private" security company to investigate.  Usually this person wouldn't get there until at least an hour after the alarm sounded and they would just drive by on the street, shine a flashlight on the house, and then leave.  This included the time we actually got robbed.  Worthless.

NextAlarm is like $11.95 a month, and they'll actually call the cops after verifying the alarm.

Wow.  You've got to be kidding.

Thanks for the input "newalarm" and for all the replies everyone.

Any recommendations for a monitoring company instead of ADT in the Chicago suburbs?  I figured they were the biggest and had a good reputation so that would be a no brainer...but I guess not!

For a DIY'er like me, would you guys/gals say an Elk M1 w/ISY-994i (the package) would be a good starting point?  Figure Insteon for all of the switches and sensors that I want to accomplish the above in my first post?

As far as hardware I'm figuring:
- Elk M1 Gold + EXP ethernet interface + ISY-994i + PowerLinc Modem
- Access Points and/or Switches to accomplish this
- All the "accessories" for doors/windows/switches/lights/smoke alarms/etc

For software:
- eKeypad

Can I configre an iPad mini running eKeypad as my security and automation control panel to mount on the wall horizontally in our foyer?  Figure I'd run power to that point, to a charging cable so it's basically "docked" in and charging all the time.  Would that then send signals to the M1  wirelessly, or recommeded to run cable from the unit itself back to the M1's location?

Lastly, what are folks doing for door / window sensors on wood stained doors/trim?  All of our doors and windows are wood and stained a walnut color, so having white sensors on everything would really stand out.

EyeofSauron said:
Wow.  You've got to be kidding.

No joke.  Have you ever seen those quasi-police car looking things driving around that say Wolf Security on the side?  That's who they would send out.  I don't think they do it in all areas, but they did it in ours (near the U of MN).  Landlord put the alarm in because he was going to live there and changed his mind at some point.  But, he was on a contract and had to keep paying for the service, so we used it.

A few years ago, someone told me there's only a handful of UL listed monitoring facilities in the country, and most alarm companies (including Brinks and ADT) outsource their monitoring to these.  It's my understanding that NextAlarm runs their own facility, and the majority of their income comes from outsourcing and rebranding.

Note that I have NOT used NextAlarm, so I cannot comment on or review their service.  But there are many people on this forum that use them, and they would certainly be able to.  My plan is to eventually sign up with them, but I've got other priorities now.  The only reason one would sign up with ADT is to just write a check, get a "free" install, and not think about it.  But even then, there are better options.  Especially if you are installing your own system or own your own system.

I have seen some of the equipment and installations that goes with some of these 'free' installs, it is bottom of the line crap. One install put magnetic contact on front door and rear, none one windows, and two motions in whole house. It was awful. You could rob the place easy without even setting off alarm. You end up paying for the system many times over. That being said, There are good reputable companies out there, you just need to do your homework.

You need to figure out how to dial out and may consider some redundancy. If your phone lines are completely buried, then it may be best way to go, and cheapest. But there are always ways of cutting a line, away from the house. Cellular is great, but you can buy jammers too. How sophisticated will your potential thief/aggressor be? All this really depends on how your location is set up and how exposed lines of communication/internet are.

Alarm Relay is another actual UL listed monitoring station, based here in San Diego.  They are great with DIY installs, and can help you test and program the system right.

I would highly recommend them.

neillt said:
Alarm Relay is another actual UL listed monitoring station, based here in San Diego.  They are great with DIY installs, and can help you test and program the system right.

Those are the other guys I was thinking of, I just couldn't remember their name so I only mentioned NextAlarm.

neillt said:

This is who I have been using for the past 3 years.
Highly recommended.

AlarmRelay/Watchlight

Back