Elk sending temperature to RC-80B - HAI Thermostat?

That would be cool, but I suspect no. I think you can setup a remote temperature sensor but it is for the internal temp (to ideally place the temperature sensor when the thermostat may be elsewhere). I don't think it has a means of displaying a separate temperature (as it does not have a way to detect the outside temperature out of the box).

If this is wrong, I'd love to hear about it as I have these too.

That would be cool, but I suspect no. I think you can setup a remote temperature sensor but it is for the internal temp (to ideally place the temperature sensor when the thermostat may be elsewhere). I don't think it has a means of displaying a separate temperature (as it does not have a way to detect the outside temperature out of the box).

If this is wrong, I'd love to hear about it as I have these too.

With the omnipro you can see the outdoor temp with this thermostat...

Neil

Looking at the protocol document makes it seem like it might be possible.

See pages 5 (Set Register) and 8 (register list).

Attachments

• rcrs232.pdf
    31.6 KB · Views: 56
This looks like it is possible, How can I get Elk rules to set and send the Registers to the thermostat? Has anyone done anything like this and how? It would be cool thing for some of us that wanted this feature.

The manual states that the outside temperature is a read-only buffer (eg: you might be able to get the ELK to read the temperature, but you can't write to it). I have one of these, and while I ca n't remember 100%, I *believe* it doesn't have connections to hook up an exterior thermostat.

Where are you seeing that it said outside temps are read only? It said (RO = Read Only) at the top but there is no RO next to the outside temp register.

Where are you seeing that it said outside temps are read only? It said (RO = Read Only) at the top but there is no RO next to the outside temp register.

The outside temperature register is not read only. Writing to this register is the way the RC80 receives the outside temperature.

Did anyone determine if you could update the outdoor temperature on the HAI thermostat via the Elk M1?

I do see that the manual states:

Outside Temperature: writing to the outside temperature register will cause the thermostat to display the
outside temperature every 4 seconds. The thermostat will stop displaying the outside temperature if this
register is not refreshed at least every 5 minutes.

We are working on reading and writing to thermostats connected to the M1 via ASCII protocol so that third party software can display some of the new energy saving features that is in the new thermostats. :)

We are working on reading and writing to thermostats connected to the M1 via ASCII protocol so that third party software can display some of the new energy saving features that is in the new thermostats. :)

Thank you! Does this mean that one can read/write generic registers in supported stats?

A couple years ago I requested this feature that can also help in other cases where there's a want or need to send other low level commands to t'stats. For example with the HAI RC-80, it would enable things like changing the default high/low setpoint limits and viewing the system run time registers. All things that can be handy to do with a remote installation.

Thanks

Back